Fitting architrave

Is it better to tack architrave to the door/window casing or drill and plug the sorrounding wall?

Cheers,

Rick

Reply to
R D S

When i fitted a new door opening i tried tacking the architrave at first but i didn't think it was secure enough, i found a combination of tacks and grab adhesive to be best solution. But the walls were brand new and flush..... hope this helps.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Grab adhesive and "Quick Clamps"

Reply to
Vortex

Gripfill :-) once its gone off you'd have to pull chunks of the wall off if you wanted to remove them !!

Reply to
Staffbull

Mirror plates are good fixings but you'll have to polyfilla over the bit that goes into the wall.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

tack it to the casing - it's there for decorative purposes only and doesn't need to be solid...fixing it to the casing minimises gaps when the timber dries / shrinks / both - if it's fixed to the wall, expect gaps

Reply to
Phil L

Tack it to the door frame. If it's narrow, it will only *just* overlap the brick/plaster - so there's no scope for fixing to that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Most architrave is 2-3" wide. Gripfil gives you time to line up the mitres properly. I can't see that any other fixing is required

Reply to
Stuart Noble

3" is bl**dy wide for architrave - my skirting boards are only 3"!

Most of the acrchitraves in my house are a bit under 1 1/4" so, when fitted to a 1" wide frame 1/4" back from the inner edge, there is about 3/4" on the frame and 1/2" extending over the frame/plaster joint. There's no problem lining up the mitres - just fit the verticals before cutting the mitres on the horizontal bit at the top.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I've seen a home gym apparatus that clamps onto the architrave and is designed to hold an adult's weight. Let alone how much you will weigh with all those extra stones of muscle they promise ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

If it clamps right through the doorway onto the architrave both sides it should be ok.

If it only clamps to *one* piece of architrave I wouldn't fancy it -

*however* the architrave is attacked to the frame!

-- Cheers, Roger ______ Email address maintained for newsgroup use only, and not regularly monitored.. Messages sent to it may not be read for several weeks. PLEASE REPLY TO NEWSGROUP!

Reply to
Roger Mills

my architrave is 3" taurus to mate with the 6" taurus skirtings.

Reply to
Staffbull