Architrave over proud skim

I had my hallway reskimmed, and am now fitting architrave and skirting. The new skim sits proud of the door casing by up to a quarter of an inch, so simply pinning the architrave to the exposed bit of the casing angles it in towards the door, leaving a gap between skim and architrave on the outside.

I'm simply pinning pieces of folded cardboard over the door casing, to level approx. with the skim, pinning up the architrave through it, and aiming to fill the gap where the cardboard is with caulk, before decorating. I'll have done it before anyone replies, but wondered if anyone had an alternative approach.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Rebate the back of the architrave over the plaster.

But to be honest, if you have had the plastering professionally done, I would get the 'spread' back to do the job properly - unless of course he followed your instructions - as it appears that the rendering has been too thickly applied or laid on top the existing.

Cash.

Reply to
Cash

Far too much faff to start rebating the architrave. He was asked to reskim over the original skim-over-render, which had various holes and damage in it, and did warn me beforehand that there would be some buildup over the door casing, so he's not done anything amiss. It wouldn't have been feasible to remove the old skim.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

If you don't mind it acquiring a more ornate look, then the simple solution it to use a small 1/4" spacer timber. Pin it to the frame like it were an architrave - however it does not need to be very wide and hence can miss the plaster. Then pin the real architrave to that - but set back a little. It creates an additional "step" in the finish - which is not unattractive if you like that sort of thing.

See here:

John Rumm

Thanks John. I think that would have been my solution, if I'd had suitable timber to hand. I hadn't thought in terms of making the design more interesting, and in retrospect wish I'd gone and got some, fitted that and cut the architrave larger! Shows the value of waiting for an answer...

I think what I have done will look OK though, once I've filled the gaps.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

You don't normally remove skirting/architrave when reskimming, for exactly this reason. You skim up to the edge of it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's what I would have done. Architrave and skirting rarely sit perfectly on new plastering so in principle you adjust the plaster rather than the wood.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

A fair point. However, in this case I'm replacing tiny 1960s skirt and arc with more attractive, deeper ogee. I suppose I could have fitted them before skim, but I'm not sure that's the canonical way to do it...

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster