Fire removed - what next?

Hi, I've been looking on this site for an answer to my question but seem to have found conflicting info.

I've removed the gas fire in my lounge and do not intend to put another one in it's place. I plan to terminate the gas outlet and plaster it into the wall, well I plan to get someone in to do it.

My main question though is regarding the chimney. I was planning to just block it off and plaster over it but..... Do I need to vent it with an air brick or similar? Are there any building regs which state that the chimney must be vented?

I do not want to vent it unless I have to, as we plan to place cupboards where the fire was, are there any alternatives? There is nothing else that uses the chimney. The construction of the chimney is those breeze blocks with the mid-section removed, not sure of the technical name. There is no chimney pot or similar on the roof, it comes out of one of the ridge tiles. All advice appreciated, especially regarding any building regs. Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Browny

It should be ventilated by an air brick or condensation could form in the chimney. I saw builder renovating cottage had done this. Internal Airbrick was about

18" off the floor. Now builders are not noted for doing things that aren't necessary...
Reply to
BillR

I would presume you could put the vent through the back to the outside if it's on an outside wall, or maybe to the sub-floor area. One of mine has been completely blocked off at the bottom, and doesn't seem to have caused any problems. When the chimney was repointed, the pot for that flue was removed (loose and broken anyway) and slated over to prevent rain getting in, although it's still ventilated at the top.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel