Finishing laminate floor to tiled wall

I've just laid a new laminate floor in the bathroom and I was wondering what is the best way to deal with gap between the floor and the tiled wall. Normally you would just pin a length of wood coloured mdf moulding to the skirting board. But what to do in the bathroom. Can you get white mdf moulding? And how would you fix it to the wall - silicon sealant perhaps? I thought about just filling the gap with white silcone sealant but the gap is pretty uneven. Any suggests much appreciated. Nodge

Reply to
Nodge

buy some laminate edging strip. £9.99 for a 2.4m length in B&Q

RT

Reply to
[news]

wondering what

I had something similar alhough I still had a skirting (the shame :) I hunted round at B&Q and could find short (2m?) lengths of white ones. Being a cheapskate I thought these a bit pricy and went for a wander. I got to the uPVC door/cladding section and found they had longer (3m?) lengths of uPVC quarter round beading (for doors I presume) this was cheaper at ~=A31.50 per length and I thought, "I'll never need to paint it" - another added bonus. As I still had skirting I banged a few small polytop nails in and bob's yer uncle. In your situation, white silicone might to the job *and* fill the gaps in the grout lines where they meet the beading. Failing that maybe "no more nails" or one of the better ones referred to on this group whose names escape me.

HTH

Mark P

Reply to
Mark P

White MDF mouldings are available, I think Wickes do some.

Andrew

Please note that the email address used for posting usenet messages is configured such that my antispam filter will automatically update itself so that the senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do need to contact me please visit my web site and submit an enquiry -

Andrew McKay

Personally, I hate those mouldings. I put a bit of laminate in my last house. However, I ensured that I removed skirtings before laying the floor and installed new skirtings to cover the expansion gap. Exactly the same method was used in the bathroom.

The bathroom was fully tiled, but it did look much better with proper skirtings and covings. Having tiles meet the floor with no skirting looks mean, IMHO.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

And gripfill to wall. Solvent-based is stronger but smelly & grey, brown or pink and a bugger to clean up. 'Non-solvent' (i.e. water-based) is white and can be wiped off more easily before it sets, so makes a nicer finish where it squishes out.

Reply to
John Stumbles

So do I - and they reduce the floor area by a surprisingamount.

That's the ideal but I get the impression that the OP doesn't have skirting in his bathroom.

Nor do we.

Ours just looks original - which it is! It's neither a practical nor aesthetic problem.

Do you have skirting in your awning ? ;-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Nor did I until I put some in when doing the laminate.

No idea, I won't be picking it up from the caravan hire place until August...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I think that would be a style statement too far :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'll stop off at B&Q on the drive down. I'm sure the hire company will appreciate the modification. I'm sure it could use some halogen downlighters, too. LV types, of course. No need for transformers...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You'll need curtain poles too ... and decking ... oh! you're going to have such fun making it lovely :-)

Mary :-^

Reply to
Mary Fisher