filling small holes in uPVC

Okd phone cabling has been removed. There are a several holes.

Any advice of what to use to fill them to render the result unnoticeable?

Reply to
pinnerite

Bostic used to make a wonderful product that was acetone-based plus a white filler. sadly it is no longer available. I think they have been taken over by someone else.

Reply to
Andrew

scrap pvc dissolved in acetone/mek

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Everbuild 165 Small Gap Sealer

it's a solvent for uPVC, skins over rapidly so not to get crap ingrained in it as it dries, seems hard to get hold of, I think my tube has dried up.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can get a hard white wax for UPVC repair

alan_m

Thanks for all the responses. I thought it might be impossible. As I have no idea who the manufacturers were and going to raise it to unlikely. Thanks, everyone.

Reply to
pinnerite

Rather tan fill the hole stick the cover of a white screw cap over the hole. You may have the file/sandpaper the ridge from the back of the cover first.

Example:

alan_m

White Milliput, a two part epoxy putty. You tear off two parts of equal size. Work together. Form it. Leave to set. Can be sanded, drilled, painted etc.

Reply to
Brian

I saw it done with some kind of hot glue and a dob of paint some years ago, but most frames are not actually white, more a creamy colour. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I think that is part of the problem with making an completely invisible repair - matching the many shades of white. However just filling the drilled hole with a white filling material or "glueing" a cover of some kind over it and I'm sure that the only person to actually notice is the repairer.

Reply to
alan_m

Hot glue is terrible stuff. It absorbs water and softens with heat - as the name suggests. Even on a hot day in bright sun it can soften.

Ok for craft work etc but not diy.

Reply to
Brian

I used some white silicone I happened to be using at the time. Not perfect but the holes were so small and in a fairly inconspicuous area that it didn't matter (to my eye).

Reply to
RJH

It tends to sink into holes so a couple of attempts would be needed. It should last longer than hot glue.

Reply to
Brian

Everflex 165 Small Gap Sealer is a quick-setting, small gap sealer and PVC adhesive that forms a permanent weld to most plastics, PVCu, Acrylic & Polycarbonate sheeting.

The formula is specifically designed to fill small, difficult gaps while providing excellent gap bridging properties. Small Gap Sealer bonds by etching into the plastic substrate forming an unbreakable weld.

The quick cure action reduces the possibility of dirt pick up during the drying time. <<

If it welds uPVC then it must contain a fairly powerful solvent, but which one ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The problem is upVC has a smooth shiny surface and shows scratch marks or abrasion rather badly unless you are uber careful

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Just found the tube, amongst the small forest of part-used tubes, it says Acetone and MEK

Reply to
Andy Burns

Then it must be similar to the no-longer-available Bostic product which is very useful to know.

Reply to
Andrew

It is clearly the right thing for the job but it comes in 330ml tubes like those that squirt tile sealant but they invariably harden in the nozzle and get chucked. But the Everflex 165 are £200 per tube!

I have located Cosmofen RM which is about £16 including P&p.

Reply to
pinnerite

Usually that sort of price (on amazon/ebay?) means "we're out of stock", I bought a tube about 8 years ago and I can assure you it was a "normal" price.

Reply to
Andy Burns