filing / grinding shellac record

Hi All,

I want to fit a clock movement to a gramophone record.

I will need to open up the hole in the middle just a little?.

Shellac is known for being a lot more fragile than vinyl.

Would people recommend.

Sandpaper?

A file?

Or a Dremmel?

Reply to
Chris Holmes

A shallow cone of sandpaper wrapped around a dowel and run in a drill?

Reply to
Andy Burns

something like that, yes. shellac will melt and it will dissolve in meths...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I haven't had to do it, but I'd try some abrasive paper on a tapered reamer. What size do you want to go to?

Reply to
nothanks

Yes from both sides. I still say though that given the age of 78records actually made of the stuff they are become more brittle with age, so it might not be a very long lasting clock. They did towards the end make them of vinyl you know. I had seen Parlaphone copies of the early Beatles singles on that format. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Shellac is thermoplastic so maybe enlarge it with a soldering iron tip?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Try a tapered hand reamer, you would need to go through gently from both sides alternately, until the correct size hole is established.

Reply to
Sysadmin