fencing quotes..

Hi

I'm debating whether to have a pro in to put up 13 concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and wood panels.

I know how much the stuff will cost me to buy...

Anyone have any idea of the rough going rate a pro would charge to supply & erect ?

Thanx

Reply to
Glugger

DIY it? ;-)

It's not a quick job but a post or two a day plus the holes for the next days posts and it'll be done before you know it. :-)

It's expensive to get them done by a "pro" but having seen their work next door I did them myself.

See below for my first attempt.

S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Hello Glugger

Not the answer you wanted but: "GET A QUOTE!" (I'm an ex-fencer)

The price varies hugely on region, style, location, access, amount of work the guy has on, whether you look like a mark and so on.

Supply will typically be a tad over what *you* can get it for when shopping, as they get it cheaper but charge a margin. It's easier for you, so you pay more. Because of this, some fencers will charge more for erection if you supply the fence, using excuses like "It's not what I normally work with, it'll take me longer to get used to it."

Erection anything from 30ukp/day for a div who likes his teabreaks, to

3500/day for a team of rip-off merchants. A good pair of lads somewhere in between.

As with tree surgery, avoid companies with gear that's all new and shiny and who have peel-off signs on their van and remember that the best companies very often don't advertise.

Very rough rule of thumb: If the guy who quotes looks scruffy, then he's probably the guy who does the job and things will be Ok.

If the guy looks bored, or starts talking about how big a job they normally do then he probably won't turn up.

If the guy is all smiles, oil and suit = ripoff. (Never trust a salesman who smells nicer than a woman)

If the guy has to phone a colleague to answer a technical or price question, kick 'em out.

If they mention using a digger on a small job, forget them - they're hiking the price, or are lazy and will do half a job.

IME, absolute best are small, very local, often family firms who have been operating for over a decade. A young startup kid can do a pretty good job too, and cheaper - but could just as easily make a balls up, like one pair who tried to charge us VAT despite not being registered.

Big firms generally do an ok job but cost more than a local firm. Can be harder to get them to fix a fault, but that's also true of small firms with a lot of work on.

Reply to
Simon Avery

I had a quote of £2,800 for putting in 28 posts & gravel boards. (incl materials)

I paid a pair of guys cash to dig the holes and concrete them in (set up

1st, last & corner pots with surveyors level so they could work rest in with a line)

saved myself more than £2k .......... guys were happy they did it over a 2 week period ... digging all the holes over first week, and concreting in at rate of about 3 a day after that.

If you decide to do it yourself, I can email you tips - drop me a mail.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I had 140 meteres of stock proff fence put in for a grand, incuding materials.

They guys used a jcb with drill attacmnet to make holes. Next time I do a fence I will just hire the JCB (60-100 quid a day), and do the rest myself.

If you DIY these posts & pannels the extra for "feathrcreate" is well spent in saving on physio costs.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper