fence posts and metposts

I am about to erect a replacement wooden fence (as soon as it arives, in a week or so). It's going onto an existing concrete base (driveway) so I think I'll be using bolt-down metposts or similar. The curved-top fence panels are 3 feet high at the ends and 4 feet high in the centre and the total run is 18 feet, 3 panels. I know I should use rawlbolts or similar but what size? The metpost leaflet just says M8X10mm, no indication of the length of the bolt. Also, although I am a bit "iffy" about using Screwfix at the moment (series of upcocks on their part) would their "sheild anchors" do the job, they seem a lot cheaper than rawlbolts.

Grateful for any advice

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hi Bob

They seem to be the same thing to me. Rawlbolts is just a trade name I think.

With 4 per post I can't see they would need to be that long, 90mm seems fine to me.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Shield Anchor Bolts would be fine. A 3ft fence doesn't take too much securing so around 3ins (65-75mm) length will suffice. You'll need a decent hammer drill if you're drilling into concrete.

riccip

Reply to
riccip

riccip wrote;

Hammer won't cut the mustard in concrete - it's a great excuse to buy an SDS though!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

An SDS drill *is* a hammer drill.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

EEhh lad, you young 'uns. Spoilt rotten t'be sure. :-)

A decent hammer drill will manage concrete okay, so long as you resist the temptation to buy Chinese masonry bits. How do you reckon we managed in the dark ages before SDS?

riccip

Reply to
riccip

But with a much bigger "whack".

riccip

Reply to
riccip

riccip wrote;

Very slowly.................

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Chris Bacon wrote;

Picky, picky!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Er, doesn't the x10mm bit indicate the length of the bolt? M8 means

8mm diameter, x10mm means 10mm long.

Reply to
usenet

Try using the new screw in bolts not sure what screw fix calls them but they work really well and are very reliable.

Reply to
Housemartin

LOL! Yeah, that's true but the holes are more even. I've used SDS drills but found they tend to bulldoze through rather than drill accurately. Especially in brickwork. I prefer a big old "pro" hammer drill bought for 6 quid at a car boot sale, came with a box of proper masonry bits. Used it to damp-proof my last house (injection method) and it refused to burn out.

riccip

Reply to
riccip
10mm long, which seems a bit short...
Reply to
Bob

Housemartin wrote

Would they be the Multi Monti

? I've often wondered about them.

BTW it claims they are great in cracked and uncracked concrete - what on earth is that? Is it just as it seems - concrete that has cracked?

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Is that not the length of stud they suggest you leave protruding if you're setting studs in the ground and fastening with nuts?

Reply to
Rob Morley

They look interesting, especially as the fence is quite close to the edge of the concrete.

Bob :

Reply to
Bob