Feasibility request: rainwater to toilet

It was ridiculous to have a decimal system which used a half!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Probably, which makes one wonder about the advisability of collecting rainwater for these purposes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Treatment in that case could be a regular disinfection with a measured dose of bleach, and keeping the source cool.

Reply to
<me9

Ah but I am replying to Andy. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
dennis

Someone has to ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Would you pay for that?

And all the other associated expenses ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Part of Swinley Woods, Bracknell

Not much. It clips the edge, and they've checked nesting times for birds. In fact, the only reason they had to ask for planning permission was because of the nature - us people didn't count. They were going to put some kind of works yard just behind my neighbours' house until we all complained... and they are taking no notice at all of the working hours in the permission, nor taking any care to keep mud off the road.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Buried. All 10 miles of it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

'zactly. People want to pay less and consume more. We're doomed, I tell you, we're all doomed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

OK, so apart from some inconvenience during the construction, there is no long term impact?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pennies from heaven.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

dennis@home wrote in

Perhaps we could try:

X pence = sum of money represented by the value of a number of one penny coins. That way a 10 pence coin and a 5 pence coin would represent the value of 15 one penny coins although there would be no actual one penny coins involved.

x pennies = actual number of one penny coins.

Works for me but always happy to be enlightened otherwise.

Reply to
PeterMcC

On us, no. According to theory anyway...

The effect on the Thames of pulling that much water out, especially if we get a dry summer (not like last year!) may be more significant.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

So they will have to arrange additional supplies if that happens.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Does it not occur to you that utility companies can only deal with what is average or normal? Just because you pay them an amount of money doesn't mean they can protect you against floods, or drought, or anything abnormal.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'll guess the SSSI is one of the Thames basin heaths, so there will be some effect on the hydrology but not much. The worry would be the changes in the soil profiles whilst nature leaches things back to the normal podsol strata.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

They can. The issue is the cost.

Reply to
Andy Hall

A cost that would make the price unaffordable for the average person. And when it comes to water we're all average. You can't ring-fence yourself

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I don't accept the notion of "average person".

Really? Then why is it that we don't all pay the same for water supply?

To a degree one can. For example, with flooding. The impact of that in terms of property could largely be avoided by not building or living on land susceptible to flooding, or making arrangements like the Dutch do.

Reply to
Andy Hall