Feasibility request: rainwater to toilet

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:09:30 +0100 someone who may be "Mary Fisher" wrote this:-

Over-consumption is seen by an increasing number of people as very

1960s. There are some dinosaurs, but their numbers are reducing steadily.
Reply to
David Hansen

Because we are on an island drenched with the stuff. The water suppliers are paid to collect an distribute it. If they are not doing so adequately then they are not doing their job properly.

They are being paid to deliver water for the purposes of washing and cleaning. Apparently, some people even drink it.

They are not being paid to deliver water for all of the above except for flushing toilets.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I pay them precisely the same whether I use it or not. Why would I want to mess about with making other arrangements?

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:20:59 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Even in Scotland that isn't true. It is certainly not the case in drier places in the south.

Reply to
David Hansen

We saved a lot of money by taking up the offer of a free meter a few years ago.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Because we are on an island drenched with the stuff. The water suppliers are paid to collect an distribute it. If they are not doing so adequately then they are not doing their job properly.

They are being paid to deliver water for the purposes of washing and cleaning. Apparently, some people even drink it.

They are not being paid to deliver water for all of the above except for flushing toilets.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Round here they are about to deliver through a brand new 4ft diameter pipe through the SSSI near my house. A bit more care from the users and that wouldn't have been necessary.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

A big *very* expensive pipeline !

Needed for stronger reasons than the lack of a "bit more care" from local users I am sure. I would suspect (without knowing) new demand for water somewhere.

Which SSSI is it ?

Will the pipe damage the SSSI ?

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Or pay the supplier more and they could use a longer pipe and circumnavigate the obstacle.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

It's a matter of collection and distribution.

I pay the water company to supply me with water. How they do that is a matter for them.

At the price point that they have it isn't interesting for me to make other arrangements. I may take a different view if the price changes significantly, but it certainly isn't worth any effort until then.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I certainly wouldn't pay a utility supplier to install a meter anyway, so a "free offer" has no real meaning. Thy must have a motivation for offering "free" deals. Either ir is because they hope to make more money or because they hope that people will use less, thus saving them cost of build out of infrastructure.

The latter is a perverse means of marketing because they are shooting themselves in the foot in terms of revenue expansion.

It would make far more sense for them to get out of the potable water business and deliver a semi treated product suitable for washing purposes only. There is really no point in treating bulk water to potable standard when 99% of it doesn't need that level of treatment.

Mineral water suppliers do a far better job of delivering a selection of quality potable products and offer the consumer choice of product. Tap water almost universally tastes disgusting.

[...]

Are they going to run it overground or will they bury it? If they are not burying it then clearly they should in an SSSI. If that is a matter of cost, then appropriate means of arranging suitable burial needs to be found.

The solution to inadequate infrastructure is to improve the infrastructure, not to reduce its use.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Rubbish, mineral water taste awful, it should be banned.

Reply to
dennis

I wouldn't know but would question the knowledge - indeed the veracity - of anyone who claims that s/he knows what water tastes like universally.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I'm not on a meter, does that mean that if I flush the WC then it's not a waste whereas if you flush yours it is? Even if overall you get your water cheaper than I do ?

Some clarity of thought needed methinks. You are confabulating the spending of money on something you would simply prefer to get for free (wasting money) with the unnecessary irrevocable consumption of a scarce resource (pouring away water in a scorching desert).

Whereas in fact neither of these is actually the case in the UK ! You could flush your WC at no extra cost if you didn't have a water meter (But you saved money when you got yours), and these islands are awash with rainwater (Waiting for fine weather to erect a new shed this week I was disheartened to see rain forecast for every single day of the 5 day forecast, it is not as if we haven't had enough ! ). A local reservoir (Booth Wood reservoir) is full to overflowing with water gushing down the spillway, and has been like that all winter, and appears like that on the various satellite images. I know energy is used to move water around, but a benefit also accrues from keeping water flowing in distribution systems (this is why the fire brigade have to go round flushing hydrants).

Potential saving less than 1 pence per day for 2 pers. household

No, we dealt with that above.

You also have to be careful how you define "waste" (true waste, of the

2nd kind ).

I believe that flushing clean water down foul drains keeps them sweet and free from infection. I frequently augment this with a kettle or two of boiling water and NaOH crystals or bleach. I see flushing the WC as a benefit easily worth a fraction of a penny per day as well as flushing away all the "Gordons" in the WC bowl.

I've heard "Many a Mickle Maks a Muckle" but that's ridiculous.

You have to watch them (the water board not the "Gordons").

They already charge me for it whether I harvest it or not. My small office has no running water, when I queried my "water rates" bill Yorkshire Water said it was for the water that falls on the building. No further details, no breakdown, no more justification than that.

Yeah, speed on death.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

I recalled that if rainwater from your property discharges down the sewer you have to pay a (fixed, not metered, clearly) charge for that. May be wrong here though, as I haven't paid for my water for a while.

Don't see why you should pay extra for using the rainwater before it discharges ...

Reply to
Piers Finlayson

Some of it is tainted when you buy it.

All of it in plastic bottles *will* get tainted within 24 - 36 hours of being opened if stored at room temperature especially if you drink from the bottle, (Bugs grow on the plastic walls of the bottle).

A lot of tapwater is also tainted. If your tapwater happens to be tainted (at home mine is not) at least you can choose from a range of bottled water and choose how you look after it.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Rubbish mineral water probably does. The decent products don't

Reply to
Andy Hall

So don't buy plastic bottles.

Exactly.