Favourite TOT Subject: "Sellafield clean-up cost reaches £67.5bn"

"The cost of cleaning up the Sellafield nuclear waste site has reached £67.5bn with no sign of when the cost will stop rising, according to a report."

Reply to
Java Jive

Yes, it's terrible how much idiot politicians and ignorant scaremongers cost the British public.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But, but, but... it's not a problem say some - and of course others said it would be 'too cheap to meter'.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

considering the amount of electricity generated by teh nuclear fleet, that's not a lot.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No they didn't. Produce the *original* quote.

Reply to
newshound

Well maybe there will be a hurricane and that will spread it over the rest of the UK. I'm tempted to say would that sort of wind register on the winscale but thought I'd pass on that one. At the moment if they could just find some place to put it underground safely it would be a start. A guy on the bbc gthe other day says if they found a place tomorrow it would take 20 years to just prepare the place for the waste!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I know his apologists have got him off the hook on that one, but Strauss was referring to atomic power:

?It is not too much to expect that our children will enjoy in their homes electrical energy too cheap to meter"

If that's not a prediction, I don't know what is - and it ain't happened yet, and nor is it likely to.

Anyway, the thread is about nuclear waste. Which I suppose some of you still say is not a problem.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

The not-very-clever ones.

Reply to
harry

shoudn't you be in bed now its dark?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Thank you; the wonders of Google. I hadn't come across the Strauss attribution before.

I know someone who did a *lot* of digging in press records before the www to try to find the source, but he missed that one. I would still go with the Wikipedia view that he was thinking about fusion, though.

Reply to
newshound

Is that figure a) more than, b) less than, c) about the same as, the eventual cost (including cleanup in the producing countries) of the UK's 'renewables' programme?

I realise that the nuclear weapons programme and the renewables programme are different, but it's all taxpayer's money and it's good to have some idea of the relativities.

Reply to
Terry Fields

Idiots. Of course it will carry on rising - even if only a penny a year! Rate of rise is what might matter.

Unless they could sell something - mmm, like reprocessing service...

Reply to
polygonum