Faulty crosstrainer (Ping: Gymratz?)

We have a crosstrainer at home (Bremshey Orbit) which has developed a fault. It has a computer which automatically varies the resistance to the user's input using feedback from various sensors, amongst other things. However something's gone wrong in that the resistance to movement is now always too high, whatever it's set to. The computer itself seems to be performing normally.

Any ideas where to start looking, in terms of fixing this? Is it even likely to be diy repairable? Currently the only option I can think of is phoning the manufacturer, which is inevitably going to end up being expensive even if they can help, as it will have to be repaired at home due to its size. A pity if it's just a loose connection or something (and no I can't see anything obvious!) Any thoughts most welcome.

Reply to
Lobster

On mine this is done by a small motor moving a magnet toward the cast iron flywheel with a spring to return it, presumably this varies "drag" caused by eddy currents? Anyway when mine misbehaved it was just the wire having got tangled around the multi-turn pulley.

Reply to
Andy Burns