Fat Max Tape

Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful!

They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has smaller increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever had.

On the shelf at £9:99 but came up on the till at £14:99. They did it at £9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before they realise their mistake.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

What does it do?

Reply to
Horse With No Name

It helps you to measure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Measures without the tape buckling & falling down - a PITA with longer distances.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks, but surely a 5m tape should measure (in excess of) 15 feet and not 11 feet?]

So, it's an expensive tape measure?

Danz

Reply to
Horse With No Name

All the 5m/16' tapes I've used will buckle after about 6' so can only be used accurately on a flat surface. The Fat Max will extend to over 11' without this buckle.

If you hook the tape over the start point then move away - no problem. If you have to extend the tape a distance to hook the end over the start point, the 'buckling' effect is a PITA. Especially with decking etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Axminster do a similar sized own brand one that is marked on both sides, and the metal end bit has a lip on both sides as well. So it is very good for marking out since you can flip it over and draw a line down against it.

John Rumm

.. and so it will, although it's better to stick to one system of units and dump the use of feet.

For some measuring operations such as from the top of a room to a point on the wall, it's helpful if the tape supports itself.

They never support their full length and so 3.5m or so out of 5m is pretty good

Actually it's pretty inexpensive.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Max is about 32mm wide, rather tahn 25mm. Axminster one looks good as well.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

|!Bought a 5M one of these tother day at Homebase. Bloody wonderful! |! |!They claim it will extend to 11' without 'buckling' and it does more than |!that. Nice wide blade with big easy to see markings. First 12" has smaller |!increments for more accurate measuring. Best measuring tape I've ever had. |! |!On the shelf at ?9:99 but came up on the till at ?14:99. They did it at |!?9:99 which is a real bargain. If you want one get into Homebase before |!they realise their mistake.

I use the Lidl 10 m tape, IIRC GBP3.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

There are two. The older one (like mine) has a sliding block lock on the front. It's an excellent tape, especially for timber-framing work where the huge horizontal stick-out is useful.

The later model (released five minutes after I bought the old one) is even better. The lock is a rocking lever in the base of the case. It doesn't pop loose when you push on the tape.

Worth every bit of the twenty quid or so,

Reply to
Andy Dingley

FFS!

=A320 for a bloody tape measure? Get orf and do some work and stop wasting our time with this bloody spam.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

If you want a pointless tool, try this

Andy Burns

If you want a pointless tool, try this

the 'Applications' page, the images are amazing.

Picture #1 shows it attaching a table leg. However, looking at the picture, the thing is so fat, it is not possible to turn the nut by more than a few degrees, certainly not by a whole flat. In otherwords, it's totally useless in the example photo.

Picture #2, the tap fitting. Wow. almost a perfect example of inappropriate tool useage. Totally unable to exert any reasonable torque, and even if you did it would slip.

Pictures 3+4, well, OK ish.

Picture #5, the rusty nut. That is 2 seconds before the bloody knuckle incident. That thing will slip long before shifting that nut. Best thing there is inappropriate use of an under-size socket, belted on with a large hammer :-)

Pic #6 : Well, it can mange a little drain plug on a new generator! Wow.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:57:08 +0100, Andy Burns mused:

even with all the pointless flash, doesn't really explain what the hell it does over a normal one.

Reply to
Lurch

Well, the 'specs' says it has a battery life, so presumably it has a battery. What for is not explained.

I'm guessing that it has a wi-fi connection to the internet, to look up the AF dimensions of various bolts. Perhaps you can log into it's config web-page and set such parameters as Knuckle Bleed Torque Threshold and Nut Rounding Torque.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

On Mon, 7 May 2007 21:44:22 +0100, "Ron Lowe" mused:

ROFL. Even after saying that, I still have this strange feeling that I need one!

Reply to
Lurch

I hope I don't get one for my birthday.

I quite like my local "Pound Shop". If I buy a tool and it does the job - then fine. If I like it but feel it isn't good enough then I buy a decent version.

I have 3 tape measures form the Pound Shop - one in the car, one at home in the kitchen drawer and one at my daughter's where I do most of my DIY.

Reply to
John

On Mon, 07 May 2007 20:47:13 GMT, "John" mused:

That's what I tend to do on things that I think I might not use. Socket sets are a common thing for that, buy a cheap one and then just buy a couple of decent ratchets and the commonly used size bits. And Spanners, that's something else I do that with, but everything else I end up spending a fortune on eventually one way or another.

Reply to
Lurch

Only when the wind isn't blowing. It'll kink then. The one I've got is a 8m same spec as the 5m, from B&Q about three years ago. Find it ideal for measuring the length of rafters on pitched roof slopes.

Reply to
keith_765