FAQ: Answering questions emailed direct to 'editor'

I should put something short and to the point up, for instance:

DO NOT E-MAIL ( snipped-for-privacy@addr.ess) WITH D-I-Y QUESTIONS - SEND THESE TO UK.D-I-Y. ANY D-I-Y-RELATED QUESTION ADDRESSED TO (..) WILL BE DELETED UNREAD.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Start:

Thank you for your question and your interest in news:uk.d-i-y

Because I just edit the FAQ, and am not an expert in all topics, I prefer not to answer individual questions. Asking your question on the newsgroup allows others to contribute to and benefit from the resulting discussion.

You can read and post to news:uk.d-i-y using a newsreader such as Mozilla/Thunderbird or Outlook Express. Check your ISP's tech support webpages for information on how to connect to their news server (often called a Usenet or NNTP server). . AOL users should see

If your ISP doesn't provide a newsgroups service you can subscribe to a separate news server such as for a small fee, or you can use a web-based service such as .

If you can't find the answer in the FAQ, ask on uk.d-i-y.

Please only mail me if you find errors or have contributions for the FAQ.

:End

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hmm, well how did the rest of us manage when we were all newbies and before the Google Groups was a even a twinkle in anyone's eye? The Pop3 bit is just a bit double-dutch though :-)

Well said!

Their interface is actually a hell of a lot

But still the google groups people tend sometimes not to quote the bit they are replying to, which is confusing for everyone else.

-- Holly, in France Gite to let in Dordogne, now with pool.

Holly, in France

Jolly good, well done. Although as long as the original suggestion :-)

Owain, whilst I'm here, why do your postings always quote the entire headers at the top of the post before anything else? Makes for an awful lot of scrolling and no-one else's postings seem to do it. Are you aware that it happens? ...

And.....just having hit the 'send' button, now I see that your messages (using OE with Quotefix) somehow don't seem to follow up automatically to uk.diy or to quote the message title. I have just had to cut and paste both in. Is it just me, does anyone else find this?? What on earth is going on?.....

Reply to
Holly, in France

Dunno missus, but Owain's posts are fine for me (using Thunderbird)... I found the original version of Owain's post which you quoted and it looked perfectly normal and headerless to me!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks everyone that made suggestions. It looks as if a shorter version is desirable so I'll have another look at it.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

I don't see it happening when other people quote my posts, and I haven't had (m)any complaints about misformed posts.

I'm also using Thunderbird. I suspect OE + Quotefix isn't quite perfect.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to