FAO "normanwisdom", sash windows.

Well, there's a turn up for the books, owdman.

Could you guesstimate pricing on a simple sash window say 1000w 1600h, hardwood, spiral bevel, double glazed and draught-proofed? Victorian house, requires 18 windows, including 4 bays. Supply only. I'm not making this lot!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

For softwood, I'd guess around 15K+VAT, assuming a bay counts as 3 of your

  1. About 20K if you only counted it as one.

Hardwood, I would think about +50% to +100%.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Not my sort of work - I only do trad joinery softwood perfect period replicas - lot cheaper than modern stuff. But yes 20K plus I'd guess.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

P.S. Half price or a touch over if you don't need new boxes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

You are telling me it's cheaper! Hardwood was only

*mentioned*, single-glazed repairs with a bit of draughtproofing would be nowhere near that.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from Chris Bacon contains these words:

Softwood?

Reply to
Guy King

Hardwood not that expensive IMHO you'd probably only add a few hundred. The wood is the cheap bit - it's the labour that counts.

Reply to
normanwisdom

Repairs tend to be pricey - it usually implies taking out the whole window, dismantling and re-building. This because the sill and bottom rails are usually gone and it has all been left un-maintained for 20 years or so. And it's too highly skilled for most joiners used to ordinary modern work. Thats why they all go for something like the OP's spec - modern windows which look vaguely like a trad window from 500 yards away. The effect usually spoiled by applying brown or ginger stain for some reason which I've never understood.

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

I'm just going by what I've been quoted, rather than what it would have cost them!

I suspect that some of the additional cost is in the greater difficulty of working with the hardwoods, so comes under labour.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Try Biff. He knows his stuff:

oddjobboy

Get a Polish joiner in. We had one recently renovate all our internal doors and a desk. He literally pulled them apart into constituent pieces and rebuilt them, with wooden pegs and blocks to fill in holes. Every door is now absolutely perfect (they were warped and split before) - an amazing job. Dirt cheap too! Polish carpentry skills include something that lacks in many workers here - pride of a job well done.

-- JJ

Reply to
Jason