Fan viscous coupling.

Thought the extra stud was only on the Cooper S 1275?

The ordinary 1275 first appeared in the Sprite/Midget. Was a very good strong unit. Think the A+ just had minor mods from that. Certainly nothing as major as earlier ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

1275 was both A and A+, so it's not a capacity thing.

I'd have taken that in exchange for having a 5th gear.

Reply to
Clive George

The later Metro I drove had quite a reasonable gearchange. BL weren't renown for decent changes on their FWD cars anyway. Most slopped around after a few miles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

it wasnt bad. Still needed bearings every 50k miles tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Typically the rad side wing is fine and the other isn't.

Isn't there any more that is, having dissolved...

Apart from acting as a rain shield for the distributor doesn't anyone know why the front was preferred?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Oh, the gear-change linkage wasn't too bad - it's the clutch *pedal* which I'm talking about, which was connected to the clutch itself by a cable - which tended to get sticky and remove all feel and smoothness from the operation of the clutch.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Th difference going from an 1100 to in my case a spridget, using what I assume was the same box, was remarkable.

Very fast shift. Not as nice as ford or triumph, but very positive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pretty obviously because - except at low speed - it provides lots of ram airflow through the rad without needing a fan - hence the use of an electric[1] fan which only cuts in when needed.

[1] An engine driven fan isn't really an option in this configuration
Reply to
Roger Mills

The original configuration gave lots of ram air into the engine bay, and surely some of it at least must have gone out through the rad and not under the car.

And it meant there was a supply of cool air over all the bits instead of hot. Especially valuable for the air intake!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Maybe - but it's not beyond the wit of man to position the engine air intake such that the air *doesn't* pass through the radiator. [Or even, in some cases, so that some of it *does* - with a blender valve to provide a more or less constant intake temperature].

Reply to
Roger Mills

I heard that Renault put the air intake on some of their diesels just behind the bumper, where they get cool air - and are nicely placed for the bow wave when in a flood.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I am reminded again of the R5 with the fresh air intake on the bonnet. In heavy rain it filled with water and the demist steamed up the windows to perfection. And once, parked under a lime? tree, it was so filled with petals the rotting mess was still comming out of the vents a year later.

[Twingo has same arrangement but has a cowl]
Reply to
djc