fan

Our bedroom runs hot. is there a good fan that is quiet that I could use to suck the cold air from outside to cool the room. I have a free-standing air con but that is really noisy. so I was thinking xpelair type fan on suck but how noisy are they and are they up to it.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Aren't you the lucky boy... B-)

Which way does it face?

Turn off the heating in that room.

Close the curtains and window during the day open them when the sun is back near the horizon/set.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Personally I have a freestanding bedroom fan, one of the large but slow type, and very good it is too. What I do around 4pm is open the windows front and back of house, and the doors between, and stand a small fan on the windowsill pumping cold air in through the rear (north) windows and direct the front room (south) large fan to blow the air across the bedroom towards the window.

Seems to be surprisingly good at bringing the temp. down sufficiently to sleep later. And having a large, slower fan means it's quite quiet so on really hot nights I leave it on.

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Ceiling fans are good as well, doesn't take much air movement to make a hot humid room bearable. 30rpm or slower is enough with a 4' dia fan and should be virtually silent.

Trouble is most modern UK homes don't really have the ceiling height or room space for a ceiling fan.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We have ceiling fans. We learnt that trick from travelling in the USA. Slow and quiet, with lighting built in, they do an astoundingly good job considering that all they are doing is stirring the air around a bit. If you put them up on speed three, it can actually get a bit cold under them, even on a very hot and humid night. We got ours from B&Q some years back. We have the same ones in the conservatory at either end and they do a good job in there as well. ISTR that they even did a version that came with a remote control handset. Best of all, they weren't expensive.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I learnt it in backpacking through Thailand, Malaysia and Bali.

Yes, it doesn't take much air movement to make things very bearable. Of course a ceiling fan gently stirs all the air in a room unlike a tiddly hispeed table fan that just noisily shoves a small amount about fast.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That works well if you let it run all night long, when its cooler outside. = It slwoly cools the masonry down, which then takes a day or more to warm up= again in the sun. They key thing is to only run it when outdoor temp is be= low indoor. So you get most of the benefit the next day, not right away.

A 9" fan suits a moderate room.

Noise level varies much between makes and models. If its an issue you can f= it a baffle box onto it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'd agree if you said that our low ceilings are not optimal for ceiling fans - but usable they most certainly are.

At low speed they make very little noise but achieve a huge difference in comfort. Only on the very hottest nights do I ever put it higher than the lowest setting.

Reply to
polygonum

I have got the B&Q ceiling fan and we have the window open but the room is south facing and centre terrace BUT set back by 15 foot from the others in the block so the front of the house is a sun trap and has very little passing air.

Due to light in the mornings streaming in blinds have to be used and they fill the gap in the window so the air is even harder to move around.

We also have a yellow street lamp at the bottom of our garden (They are surprisingly bright)

The fan in the light is fab but hot air is hot even if it is moving around.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Might not work for you, but we have one of the simple awnings above our south-facing living room window. Sticks out quite a long way when fully extended and helps a lot with reducing the sun coming in - without making it too dark.

Nothing is perfect but it was modestly priced simple enough to fix.

Reply to
polygonum