Facemasks

It might be fun to go to the supermarket in a full bunny suit, overshoes etc, and full face respirator NBC style :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Next time you see your friend, remind her that she is either ignorant or stupid!

Reply to
John Rumm

Not really they get very clogged up. Another person suggested microwaving them, well knock yourselves out on that one! I bought five reusable ones from and they are washable. See no need for disposables since many people dispose of them by leaving them lying about. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

In message , RJH writes

Your nose 'fires' downwards, so unless you're mask is also covering your eyes (which is unlikely), the main reason that your specs fog up is that your (potentially toxic) emissions are escaping upwards. This is probably because the mask is not fitting closely against your skin below your eyes, so try some fine adjustments to how you're wearing it. If it IS fitting well, and it's simply that some of your breath is naturally passing upwards through the material, you can probably minimise this by applying an appropriately positioned strip of sticky tape. [Sellotape probably won't adhere too well to the mask material - so what about duct tape?]

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Robin submitted this idea :

Wearing one mask makes noral breathing slightly difficult, near impossible with any physical activity to get enough air through. Wearing two would not be a good idea, except maybe for sitting relaxed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Only those who live in some bubble where they never see or hear any news broadcasts, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ian Jackson presented the following explanation :

Unless the mask has some metal to shape it around the nose, some exhaled breath will be expelled in the open angle between nose and the face. No amount of adjustment will help. I made myself a mask, when masks were still in short supply. To avoid having the gap in the mask either side of my nose, I threaded an ordinary paperclip in the seam, at the top centre. Basically straightened one out, then folded over the last 6mm the two ends so it wasn't sharp, pushed it in the seam to the centre of the mask, then bent it to closely fit my nose.

I have since bought some washable 3-ply masks, but they lacked any metal nose clip, so I used the same trick with the paperclip.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Any risk of damaging an expensive pair of glasses?

Reply to
Scott

I used a DIY mask when sanding the fence and my glasses were steaming up. I quickly concluded that the risk of injury from a power tool far exceeded the risks associated with inhaling some dust (no lead involved). I also thought the metal bit might damage my glasses.

More on topic, I have concerns that if people wear masks this could detract from the idea of social distancing.

Here in Scotland at least, the hint is that there will be no enforcement by shop staff (some of whom have been briefed not to say anything in case the customer suffers a medical condition, which would be personal information and confidentiality issues would arise)..

Reply to
Scott

Yes, thanks - I think I've tried every variation, with dust masks for DIY, and some of those blue paper masks that seem all the rage. They all have a metal clip sewn in to clip around the bridge of the nose, and I do have sone specs that add to the clamping effect. But after a while they steam up. And I don't fancy duct taping the thing to my face.

I think mine's a genetic predisposition, so contacts it is when I'm out and about in enclosed spaces. The 3M half mask for indoors dusty DIY.

Reply to
RJH

There are credible sources suggesting that a simple mask provides /some/, not negligible, protection for the wearer.

Consider eg that a stranger sneezes towards you from a range between 1 and 2 metres. Would you rather be wearing (a) no mask or (b) even just a fabric mask that stops the splashes/spray/large droplets?

Reply to
Robin

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:02:13 +0100, Robin wrote: [snip]

My wider concern is this: at the beginning it was made clear that facemasks had to be removed without touching them, then either disposed of or sanitised and hands washed immediately. Anecdotal reports suggest that people are stuffing the coverings into their pockets or handbags between shops then using them again. It seems to me this will risk infecting the person's hands when the person is about to handle items in the next shop serving to increase the level of risk, compared to the previous advice to wash your hands frequently and *not* touch your face. It may also give customers the idea that there is no need to socially distance from other shoppers.

I have to say that I am sceptical.

Reply to
Scott

In message , RJH writes

I wasn't suggesting that you tape it to your face - but if you did, duct tape wouldn't harm you. [Caution advised if you have a moustache!]

My wife tells me that the suggestion of a tiny drop of Fairy Liquid, wiped on glasses, does stop them steaming up.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The latest seems to be that 'medical reason' is self-certified and shop staff are not to ask questions or challenge anyone. I *think* one of the questioners said that doctors were refusing to issue exemption certificates.

Reply to
Scott

a few dabs of super-glue on the top of the mask works just as well

Reply to
alan_m

Surely 'tit tape'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It took me a few moments to work out what 'tit tape' is!

I sometimes suffer from hard, cracked skin on my heals, and the doctor suggested that I try 'Haelan Tape' (a clear sticky tape impregnated with fludroxycortide, which is used for sticking over lesions to keep them soft and help them to heal). However, I have found that duct tape works just as well. It usually survives a good long soak in a hot bath. Usually available in silver and black, if you didn't mind it showing it should also work well on saggy t*ts!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But don't you need an angle-grinder to remove it?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

aka toupee tape

Reply to
Andy Burns

I bought some reusable masks from here...

...they have the added frisson of essentially being re-purposed gussets strapped to your face with knicker elastic.

Reply to
Clive Arthur