extractor fan roof vent

I have traditional flat clay tiles with a double overlap. I need to exit a 5" bathroom extractor vent through this roof, since there are no soffits to speak of. The roof has no sarking and is vented through the tiles. What is the best solution, since there are 3 layers of tiles to go through in places ? TIA, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Is there a gable end you could route to instead?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Tony

Reply to
TMC

traditional flat clay tiles with a double overlap. I need to

Well there is, it was my original idea, it is the other side of the house, about 5 metres away. The fan is sufficient for that. Maybe that is a better idea after all. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Thats put me on the right track. The magic phrase seems to be "In-line Tile Clay Vent". Comes up with several that look like they replace 3 tiles wide and two tiles deep. Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Read a bit on the net where it was saying that if an extractor was routed upwards through the roof it was advisable to run it for 10 minutes longer than one would with a horizontally vented system so that there was little prospect of condensation in the pipe running back into the fan

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Yeah, despite the distance a horizontal run to the gable may be better. It is also more sheltered there so less chance of wind noise

- I would use a downward-facing cowl. Also, I could ensure the pipe after the fan was slightly downward-facing so no probs with condensation. Just means I have to put a hole though the wall. One core drill coming up ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In message , TMC writes

I had a loft mounted fan, venting via flexible ducting into a vertical pipe through the roof. Never had any such problems, if there was small amount it would ahve just pooled in a low bit of the duct.

But how would you decide on how long is long enough, to decide on the extra 10 minutes? - ours was operated by a humdidistat.

If you are worried a better idea than indeterminate extra venting would be to find a condensate trap.

Reply to
chris French