External, horizontal, tongue and groove cladding

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you lot will!) but isn't it supposed to be installed groove side down? I walked past a building conversion the other day where they were fitting it tongue side down but didn't like to say anything - first, because I wasn't absolutely sure and second because I could guess the reaction if some old codger passing by called out "Oy! You're doing that wrong!"

Is it a building control issue or just something the new owner will have to shrug over and replace in a few years time?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

My mum and dad had a conservatory fitted about 15 years ago. I'm convinced it's inside-out, since the PVC strips holding the glazing in are on the outside.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

That's called external glazing. It probably is slightly less secure because those strips can be popped out. But whether you can then get the DG unit out so easily I'm not sure. But we made sure when we got all our DG done that it's internally glazed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

If it's plastic cladding it'll survive, but the wall behind will be rotten quite quickly.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are you sure it wasn't "shiplap"?

Reply to
harry

Pretty sure. But surely shiplap should be oriented so the square-cut side is down and the tapered side is up, no?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Richard