Extension lead for mower

On 25/05/2014 06:22, F Murtz wrote:

Unlikely. You're most likely to cut the bit nearest the mower - which is the original 2-core cable.
--
Cheers,
Roger
"GB" < snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com> wrote in message
When I was losing my sight I used white cable, which seemed to survive OK outside. I understand it can be a problem in sun, but then I was never out in the sun long enough. It was very hardy to mechanical damage, an much less a problem with tangling than the orange stuff which seemed to be far more stiff. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Roger Mills" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
On 24/05/2014 20:26, GB wrote:

I would use an extension cable. In the past I've had problems with very long leads getting twisted and consequently tangled. Probably due to the way I coil them up when I pack them.
I have wondered if I alternately use left or right hands when coiling I might avoid the twist but have never managed it in practice.
Nick wrote:

Do the roadie wrap!
<
http://youtu.be/yqbYyaUY5Sk

http://youtu.be/yqbYyaUY5Sk

On 25/05/2014 11:41, Andy Burns wrote:

Thanks, this looks to be a solution to the problem. I will try it out.

Best answer is to put the electric one on fleabay, local paper etc and get a Petrol driven one. Apart from a bit of annual faffing around with the spark plug they just work and work well and no risk of cables getting cut bound up possible electric schnocks etc.
My lawn servant operative wouldn't have anything other than lead less bless her;)....
--
Tony Sayer

On 25/05/2014 12:22, tony sayer wrote:

Yup, for all its various other faults, my Hayter is over 20 years old now, and has never done anything other than start first time...
--
Cheers,

John.

Assuming it has a 13 amp plug and socket, that makes sense. As you simply can't be sure it won't be used elsewhere where an earth is needed.

I'm pretty certain if you change the plug on the mower to one of those special garden tool types you can then use a two core lead to that.

Voltage drop to anything can be a problem.
--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

don't bother with an extension lead, just get a generator and position it halfway down the garden, then the origional lead on the mower should reach everywhere :)

The mower has two layers of insulation & needs no earth. The cable needs and earth in case you run over it with the mower. Also the extension cable reel may have metal parts that need to be earthed.
On 25/05/2014 17:27, harryagain wrote:

In that case, how do you explain the fact that the cable supplied with the mower has only two cores?
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 25/05/2014 17:27, harryagain wrote:

No, it doesn't. An RCD at the house end will provide protection to the user in this event.

Then don't use a metal cable reel with a 2-core flex. Better still, don't use a metal cable reel at all. If you're standing on damp ground there's no sense in introducing unnecessary lumps of metal connected to any part of the mains electric supply.
--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
On Sun, 25 May 2014 11:38:05 +0100, Graham Nye wrote:

That's what I did and, at the time Wilko was cheaper than SF and TS. I made my own because pretty well all of the 25m leads were 1.25mm^2 and I wanted 1.5; also 27m is just the right length. 30m would have been OK of course but most are 1.25.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Roger Mills wrote:

That just Network rails extension leads:-) - everyone else uses yellow ones.
--

Adam

On 25/05/2014 21:56, ARW wrote:

I just looked at Screwfix. They seem to have yellow for 110V only, blue or -- you'll never guess this -- ORANGE for 240V.
Andy
--
p.s. you need a space after the hyphens in your sig.

+1. I'd owned it for years...

+1 :(
--
David

But do they really 'just work'? Certainly my electric mower does... When I was a youngster living at home I have many 'happy' memories of sweating blood trying to get my Dad's Mountfield going, and have never been in any hurry to own a petrol-engined machine of my own.
--
David

On 27/05/2014 08:23, Lobster wrote:

Mine has been fine (from a starting point of view)... push the rubber tit on the side of the carb a few times to prime it. Pull the cord - normally it fires - sometimes it conks. So prime again, and it always then starts and runs. If its not been used for a bit, it will be a bit rough and smoky for 20 secs or so. Its got a B&S 3.5 HP engine on it. Not had any maintenance beyond its first oil change after a few hours of running from new.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 27/05/2014 08:23, Lobster wrote:

I remember hating my mother's B+S engined mower.
My Honda is a completely different beast - it just works, and works well. 21 years old this year.