extended warranties on electrical items

I'd pay an extra ?20 on a ?130 printer for two or three years of free on-site repairs. I did for my last two printers.

It's a nuisance if your printer packs up and, if you have kept the packaging, you have the hassle of sending it back and waiting weeks.

Reply to
Pamela

same way as always. You must know what he's about by now.

Reply to
tabbypurr

she understood it perfectly

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which? has consistently advised that extended warranties are a waste of money, and I have always declined them. My experience of white goods is that if they don't go wrong in the first 3 months then they will last a long time.

I declined the extended warranty that Comet offered me on my fridge freezer when I bought it. That was in 1986. The fridge freezer is still going; Comet isn't!

At least I have been lucky enough to buy from manufacturers who wait until the 12-months guarantee is nearly expired before tempting me with ongoing insurance (which I ignore). The washing machine insurance was a bit expensive I thought; expensive enough to remember the amount quoted. When the machine did eventually go wrong, it was many years later and the money I would have paid for the insurance would have bought one and a half replacement machines. I just bought one.

When the 10-year old dishwasher went wrong, the engineer took an age taking it apart to get to the bit that was faulty. Then he asked me a question I wasn't expecting - did I just want it mended, or did I want him to also replace the bits that were OK at the moment but probably wouldn't last a lot longer. So I asked him why he was giving me the options. He pointed out:

- this model is a pig to get apart to get to the works, and will take a similarly long time to put back together. I am paying for his time so there are some savings in replacing other bits while it is apart to save another call-out at a later date.

- this particular model is difficult to maintain but it rarely goes wrong, and my first fault after 10 years is not unusual. The newer model is easy to get to the works, but it goes wrong much more often.

- a refurbishment would replace the pump with the slightly noisy bearings and a small chip out of the impeller, the water inlet control unit which is showing a lot of limescale from the hard water, and two hoses which are showing the first signs of perishing, but were nowhere near as bad as the leaking one he was about to replace along with the door seal on its last legs.

- my options were to replace what needed replacing now, and probably call him back within 2 years, or pay a bit more for spares and have another 5-10 years of trouble-free use, or scrap this one and buy a replacement which will probably need an engineer's attention within about 5 years.

I went for the full refurbishment. It cost about half the price of a new machine. That was 3 years ago and the machine has been trouble-free since that engineer visit.

The only "register your purchase and get an extended guarantee" offer I did take up was for a top quality garden hose I bought with Gift Vouchers I received as a Christmas present. The extended guarantee was free, and registering the purchase on-line got me a 30-year guarantee against "faulty workmanship or materials during manufacture". I will get a birthday card from the Queen (or probably King by then) before the

30 years expires!

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Is that why you were looking for a new freezer thermometer?

On account of the recent hot weather, I got one of these. It's works surprisingly well. Two remote sensors, great range, good display, rising/falling indicator, strong magnets, etc. Can't understand why it's so cheap because I would place this as a ?35 device not ?14.50.

Pamela

Indy Jess John presented the following explanation :

That happened because so few were buying into their extended warranties lol

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Kind neighbours are a godsend. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remember reading details about aftermarket used car warranties. Article reckoned they paid out about 10% of premiums on claims. Not the sort of odds I'd gamble on.

For expensive consumer goods, I tend to compare the John Lewis price which often includes a 5 year warrenty. Don't mind paying a few quid over the odds for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes sadly this sort of thing does cost a lot. I recall seeing a price of 100 quid for two months a while ago, a ploy to discourage the practice I imagine.

Later in the Video revolution I had a Toshiba Betamax with all sorts of clever features, but when it went wrong it was always maladjusted when it returned, so much so that after a year the company who sold it to me suggested I pay them about 30 quid and they would supply a Sony C9 instead and that lasted for many years and even then only needed a clutch and a gear on the loading mechanism. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

EU law requires you to be able to enforce your statutory rights against the retailer for a minimum of two years. Irrelevant in Britain, as the limitat ion period is six years from purchase anyway (five in Scotland, from the di scovery of a fault). Some countries in the UK had much shorter periods, or the period could be limited by contract.

It means you can take Pound Shop to court if your £1 solar garden lant ern fails 729 days after purchase. It doesn't mean you will win your case, if the court decides that 729 days is a reasonable lifespan for the product .

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

That's when they go wrong.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Violent helper

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A burglary.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I got 15 peaches for £1.50 on the market the other day.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

You should have said 'ready money', not 'cash'.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Best thing with printers is to have two.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes. I bought three. They are not wireless because nothing wireless works very well round here. We are on high ground near a telecoms tower. I wondered if I could extend the wires. It turned out that the sensor is a thyristor that has resistance varying from about 10kohm to oh I dunno maybe 1Mohm, so the extra resistance in 3m of cat 5 made very little difference.

They work well. It's surprising how the reading varies as the freezer motor cycles between on and off. And when you open the freezer door the air temp inside drops very rapidly; from -18 to -8 in no time.

Or £13 on Amazon

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Anywhere offering interest free credit is unlikely to have the best prices. Don't you check around for prices before buying a large item?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. He wanted three quid but he was a wog so haggling came naturally to him.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Erk* or Oik**