ESR meter.

Bought one of these:-

it arrived today. First playing with says it's ok - especially at the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That implies there are some compromises??

For me it is one of those things I would use now and then but not continually. Most of the time I just replace the suspect cap as the old one has lost capacitance and shows up on the uF range on my multimeter.

So are there short comings?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It looks to me that you will need to fit it in some kind of case, or at least provide it with some more suitable sockets or binding posts for test leads.

The most useful feature of any ESR meter is being able to test caps in situ.

ESR is far and away a better indicator of the condition of an electrolytic capacitor than uF

Reply to
Graham.

Well yes. It's just a chassis and will need to be fitted to a case of some sort.

Sadly that doesn't always (never?) show up a failed cap in a SMPS. ESR is more useful for this. Of course you might just try substitution - especially when ESR meters cost a couple of hundred quid.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One quite useful feature is you connect a transistor any old how, and it tells you which pin is what (pinout), PNP or NPN.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave,

Did you get any instructions with yours?

Seems to basically work but I've noticed that repeated testing of a capacitor seems to give either esr = 0 esr = 0? esr = 0.4 Are certain pins better for certain tests/components?

It did not seem to identify the pins on a N channel J fet (2n3189) correctly. I could fit it flat towards display and flat away from the display and the pin out displayed was the same. Seems to draw 1uA when off which is pretty good too. Just got to make/find a box for it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

No - just followed those on the Ebay ad.

I found the actual test lead sockets didn't do anything much. So only used the small sockets alongside them.

It worked on an IRFIZ34 here - not tried it on any others.

Be interested to find out how you end up boxing it up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've just ordered one of these boxes ebay item 271115299166

The module will just fit across the smaller dimension of the lid allowing some panel space for connector and the battery. I will stack up some SIL turned pin sockets to bring the 5 way connector up to the lid surface and in parallel, add some 4mm sockets for test leads/probes. A little perspex light pipe for the led and anther piece of plastic to operate the push button. Screws and nuts for spacers for each board to secure everything to the lid. Something yet to be invented to hold the battery in place. I might add a on/off switch as I dont envisage using this a lot so knowing my luck the battery will be flat each time I come to use it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin