Espagnolette window handles - hopeless design

We have a conservatory with 15 fanlight windows, opened using espagnolette handles. It's 8 years old, and so far I have replaced 13 of the 15 handles!

These things are of stupid design. They *always* fail in the closed position, and are awkward to remove because one of the fixing screws is hidden under the closed handle. The button which has to be depressed before the handle can be turned can be pushed in, but fails to release the latch. This is because the internal latch is made of plastic, and after being pressed dozens of times this flexible piece of plastic finally fractures.

Interestingly, I have had no problem with these handles on the house windows, probably because they are not exposed to the high temperatures found in the conservatory, and aren't opened and closed so much. Really, the conservatory espagnolette handles should have a stainless steel latch, not plastic.

Anyone else noticed this with handles exposed to high temperatures?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Yup! Have had the same problem although with me the conservatory windows are fine it is the newer windows in the rest of the house. I put it down to just to poor quality handles.

As you say it is the plastic latch within the handle that fails leaving it in the latched position. The remedy is to slip a thin piece of metal into the gap between the handle and the base approx. Under the key lock and this releases the latch.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Yes some the council fitted to windows on a side of the building that gets very hot for most of the days has started to get stuck. So far they have not replaced any, saying its too expensive. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The first time this happened I used a junior hacksaw to remove the "lip" of the handle. Once I'd seen how it worked inside I started using a Stanley knife to slip the catch. Now I use a 1mm jeweller's screwdriver to push in the gap and release the latch.

I've just ordered another 10 replacement handles from Amazon, which should last a few years. They've increased in price from £25 for 10 to £35 in just over two years.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

The other problem is that some are designed so you have to push the button in to release the catch so it can be turned to open the window (and opening it releases the button), whereas others turn without pressing the button and pressing it locks the catch from opening. Our house has a mixture of the two on different frames, and I've got so used to pressing the button to open the window that I instinctively press it for those where this action locks the catch, which means a frantic search for a key!

Reply to
NY