Erbauer sliding mitre saw

"Doctor Drivel" incorrectly dribbled:

Dribble, how many times do you have to be told Andy Hall and I are totally separate entities?

As for thinking Makita is the only pro tool I don't. I actually only own three Makita tools, a jigsaw from years ago that takes the old Makita blades (now I more regularly use a Bosch GST135) , a more recently purchased circular saw and a filing sander. That collection is shortly to be extended though, one of them being a definite Makita purchase, the other a Makita maybe.

For the record my cheapest "power tool" purchase in the past few months was about 40 quid for a router, the most expensive bought in

2004 cost just over 26000 quid, has a peak electrical load of 30kW and weights around 2500kg, neither are made by Makita.

As for purchasing *anything* by Erbauer or Ryobi, or any combi boiler/shanty town water heater for that matter I'll give them a big miss.

Reply to
Matt

An article about Worx. It is Light Trade and positioned between mid to high end.

Doctor Drivel

Lord Hall, stop making things up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's simply catalogue layout and positioning. It doesn't make either product of the same quality level as Makita or Hitachi.

Best thing really.

They may well have done, but this has no bearing on reality. They have simply purchased the rights to the use of a German brand name, in the same way that the JCB name is on bottom end power tools which don't detract from their excavator range.

I doubt if he does, but you can discuss that with him.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It is as close to it as makes little difference.

and CMT, it is distinctly poor.

I'm not positively influenced by SF's marketing of Erbauer.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh come on......

The difference covers the projected return rate.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt, you made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That does not make it entry level and there's a big difference between those products and Ferm.

Likewise

Reply to
daddyfreddy

The problem is that it isn't very different to the lowest priced products where it matters:

- Actual torque delivered to the cutter

- Smoothness of plunge action

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt/Lord Hall, thinks all power tools except Makita are DIY, so you have to know the mentality of Matt/Lord Hall. In the Screwfix book.. A Ryobi 18v for £164 (some cheap DIY eh) next to a Makita 18v for £179. The Makita has

3 batteries to the Riobi two, so about the same price.

Why not? Erbauer has a slot in the book with a cutaway pointing at the quality of the drill, Jacobs chuck, etc. It is clearly aimed at the pro market. A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional" guarantee. They are well priced and quality products.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You'll have to ask Matt what he thinks.

I've never said that all power tools other than Makita are DIY. I select based on quality, performance and price, usually in that order.

I have some Makita tools (mainly cordless because of battery commonality and because my view is that their cordless drills are the best on the market except for certain Panasonic and Festool models. I also have a Makita belt sander and a Makita sliding compound mitre saw. Both of these have been reviewed as best in class and after trying several of each found the same.

Other than that I have power tools made by Hitachi, Bosch, DeWalt, Lamello, Senco, Porter Cable and Metabo; each chosen as best for purpose.

It isn't simply a price issue in either direction. I've compared these products side by side and they are not in the same league in terms of handling or performance. The Ryobi should not be priced above £100 given the comparative quality.

Because it's only just about one step up from the superstars in Aldi's marketing department.

.. and this impresses you?

It may be aimed, but doesn't have the level of quality and performance to achieve it.

What is that supposed to mean? THe "guarantee" is purely calculated as a marketing ploy to balance attractiveness to the naive buyer against acceptable return rate. I see no mention of spares and service arrangements which are prerequisites for a professional product.

If by "well priced" you mean low priced, I'll give you that. It's really the only positive attribute. However, it is farcical to say that these are of high quality.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote:nd Ferm.

lol...I think Jacobs crackers are probably better.

What I love is the quote in the catalogue about Erbauer: "If you're the one that chooses the tools for your company, this is the drill to add to your list" Lee Daniels, Professional Builder.

Who the **** is Lee Daniels?

Reply to
daddyfreddy

What do you think Mat?

You did.

You never.

Kress make them so take it back

In your mind it isn't as all tools not made by Makita are DIY.

You haven't.

You have never touched one.

You have never seen one.

It doesn't impress you because it is not a branded name.

You have never seen one.

It means ..."A Google gives some positive reports, and a 3yr "professional" guarantee."

You just made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He's a professional builder.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The odd-job man in the warehouse, or the marketing guy's dad.

I really don't believe for one moment that a builder would write a paragraph like that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Definitely not me Dribble. I don't own a single Panasonic or Festool tool and nor do I own any Makita *cordless* tools.

Reply to
Matt

IME pro tools are designed be (ab)used all day by brain dead builders. They love Hilti drills because you can run them for longer with blunt bits etc. I don't think they can ever be justified for the d-i-yer on economic grounds but sometimes it's nice to treat yourself. Women and shoes springs to mind. Out of interest, what brand of trainers do you wear?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Some are intended for that, and some such as Lamello biscuit joiners and Makita slide saws are intended to achieve precision work and do. Others such as the Metabo orbital sander have low vibration and excellent ergonomics.

That entirely depends on what your definition of DIY an appropriateness for it actually is.

Some people seem to feel that it's all about minimising cost and implication of minimal use and that somehow this justifies going for cheap tools as good enough.

Perhaps for some people this is true, but it's wrong to assume that everybody has these criteria.

Personally I take a different view. That is to be able to achieve quality work in my timescales across a range of activities and to enjoy the use of the tools while doing so.

Cost is also a factor, but not my first one. I look at the issues in the round, and time and outcome are much more valuable to me than capital cost of a tool in a store.

This is whether they be power tools, workshop machinery or hand tools such as my Lie-Nielsen planes which I enjoy using immensely and with which I can produce results which please me.

I don't want to waste my time returning third rate products to the store and I want to be able to obtain service and spares if and when I need them and for a long time into the future.

I do want to have a sliding mitre saw or a router with a smooth and accurate mechanism that cut with repeatability and accuracy, and I also want drills with highly controllable speed, torque and braking. These don't happen with £30 drills, £50 routers and £90 sliding mitre saws.

It might spring to yours, but doesn't to mine.

Whatever I can get in size 14. The choice is limited.

Reply to
Andy Hall

same as NuTool huh?

The "Erbauer" router is a chinese model sold under loads of different guises - it is the slightly refreshed version of:

plunge mechanism lets them down alas since some other aspects of them could be worse.

Reply to
John Rumm

Paul's Brother and Drivel's love child.

Reply to