Elfin safety at B&Q

Cheap way to reduce the number that walk I suspect. Send one ex-display off to auction or just bin it rather than have any number walk...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yeah, was it the OP who said it was probably the sales assistant unoffically keeping it back for a friend.

If I'd wanted the tool I would have noted the assistants name, quietly wandered away and found the duty manager to enquire why assistant X wasn't prepared to sell me the tool and if it was policy not to sell for the reasons I had been given why the invitation had been posted in the first place.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Bad move. You can't get spares for these if they are more than a few years old.

This is absolutely normal for instruction manuals these days.

Reply to
Mark

I'd say fridges are one of the few things that rarely need spares. Or by the time they do few makers would still stock them anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Highly unlikely. It's perfectly clear what was meant, and courts shouldn't have a problem with it.

I wouldn't expect any chain-store manager to agree to bind his employer to such a contract though.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Spotted the delibarate mestook. ;-]

Reply to
BigWallop

Write 'waver' and the contract will be held void as it doesnt make sense. If its accepted and if the tool injures you you can still sue. However there are other issues with such a contract that make it worthless in reality, and few managers want to enter into murky contracts just for a quick sale of a low value item. A few might though.

NT

OOPS !!! I missed an " i " Silly me. I will right it dine a thighs and times, two help me remember the next time.

BigWallop

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

A couple of years ago I did an H&S short intro course and we were asked to make a list of all the items in and outside the hall that *might* pose a danger to someone. In fact, there were a couple of dodgy items (broken socket, rusted bracket on water tank), but it was a hoot populating the list with all sorts of utterly trivial stuff that nobody in their right mind would bother with.

Amazingly, the H&S bod took it all seriously and promised they would all be attended to.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'd say not. Many fridges use electronic control systems which do go wrong. My 6 year old Samsung fridge has such a failure and I had to scrap it because spares were no longer manufactured.

I'm not sure what you meant by this apart to contradict your first sentence?

Reply to
Mark

How? IME theives chop off mains cables rather than unplug them.

Reply to
Mark

Mostly te plastic interiors call apart, and the door seals.

Lec is as good as it gets for that.

If they degass, chuck em.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not possible to repair it?

I have a near 30 year old fridge still working as new. I'd not expect to be able to buy spares for it now. Haven't tried, of course. But few even decent makers carry spares for things over 10 years old.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

For freezers, add in waterlogging (icelogging) of the insulation when they first switched away from CFC expanded foams to more environmentally friendly insulation (which meant chucking out the freezer after less than half the lifetime it would have had previously). Sigh.

The most unreliable parts are the fanned frost-free sections. Avoiding units with those will give you a very much more reliable fridge/freezer. The basic sealed system compressor technology has been around for decades and achieved quite remarkable levels of high reliability at low cost.

Sometimes gas leaks are obvious (a friend had one where the pipe coming out of the vibrating compressor was rubbing against a bit of fixed metal, and we had the same thing in an air conditioning unit at work. A blob of solder to fix the hole and bending the pipe away from this point permanently fixed both cases after regassing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know how to repair it nor did anyone else I could find.

Reply to
Mark

Pretty close. I visited an office shortly after a burglary and all that was left of the computers and printers were chopped off leads. The mains leads were still plugged in.

Reply to
Mark

More properly called "risk avoidance" department in most companies and headed by a solicitor.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Sounds like someone with mental problems - given that most computers and printers don't have captive leads. Perhaps we now know dribble's real job.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I hope you included the possibility of spontaneous human combustion of your workmates as a reason for working from home :-)

Reply to
pete

I get a fair bit of work from H&S inspections. Local church last week, paint 3 x steps white, box in some electric cables, fit beading to door thresholds so they wern't trip hassards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman