Electrics in the kitchen

Got an electrician coming to put whole new wiring in my Kitchen I offerred to gouge the walls and place the boxes before he comes in an attempt to reduce costs which he accepted. Now, these walls are made of horrible orange empty thin useless excuse for hollow bricks so any attempt to make a square hole, crumbles back to leave a huge opening. Now each hole is far too deep, so Q. Can I pack with timber to space put the boxes so they are flush with the walls ? or is timber a no no ?

I have planned the 30mm from Hob/Sink and 150mm height above worktops (in case you ask) TIA

Reply to
Vass

You can usually set the boxes in bonding plaster. Seal the holes with dilute pva, mix the plaster as thick as you can, slap it in the hole, and push the box in until it's flush. Trim of the excess when it's gone off a bit.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I would just wet the holes and then mix a bit of cement into the bonding as well. Watch out, it goes off very quickly but sets very solid.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I just glued em in using no more nails type stuff :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:53:35 GMT, "ARWadsworth" mused:

If you're going to do something like that make sure the kckouts are ready knocked out in the right place, the grommets are inserted and they aren't full of plaster. Might be bettr off cutting all the holes then having the electrician come and drop the wires so you know where the cables are running in and out of the boxes.

Reply to
Lurch