Electric shower wattage

Hi,
I am getting an electric shower. I have calculated that a 9.5KW shower
should be able to deliver a 30 degree delta T at a flow rate of 4.5L/
min.
I could go for a 10.5KW unit, but this is roughly double the price
I have no real benchmark to compare against - how much of an advantage
would an extra KW be do people think?
Cheers,
Ben
Reply to
Ben
For what its worth.. I've fitted 7, 7.5 , 8.5 and 9.5kw showers. 7.5 is barely a shower, a 8,5 gives a reasonable shower, and theres quite a leap in performance with 9.5. 9.5 gives a good flow at. a hot temperature. Richard
Reply to
edalechurchcottage
Thanks. I might be able to fit a power shower. However, it would need a pump since I am at the same level as my storage tank for hot water. However, my hot water is free, wheras 10KW is not...
The hot water system consists of a 100L header tank with a cylinder below - I wonder whether it would have enough capacity for a pumped shower...
Ben
Reply to
Ben
If the hot water cylinder is fed with cold water from the cold water tank above it, then this is the height that matters, not the height of the hot water cylinder ;-)
Reply to
Sparks
Errm, isn't that the definition of a power shower, other than venturi types?
We have one separately pumped mixer shower in the en-suite which has a dedicated 15mm hot feed close to the top of the cylinder (no special flange used) and one "power shower" with built-in pump in the bathroom plumbed to the 22mm feeds to the bath. They are regularly both used simultaneously (and one will often be used again immediately afterwards) with no problems running out of water, but we've trained the kids not to spend too long in the shower wasting water. The boiler timer would be on at that time but I don't know if we have a quick recovery cyclinder or not.
MBQ
Reply to
manatbandq
You can turn the pump speed right down (on many pumps), use a low water spray, or even use a nautical style spray that only works when you press a button, so you only use it when you're spraying water on youself to rinse, not sending hot water down the drain while you're soaping up.
Owain
Reply to
Owain
Thus spake snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk ( snipped-for-privacy@connectfree.co.uk) unto the assembled multitudes:
I'll second that. I had an Aqualisa Quartz installed last February and I'm delighted with it. The pump/processor is in the attic right next to the cold water storage tank (so as to minimise the pipe run from the hot tank in the room below), and there's a pipe run of about 6m to the shower head. Takes about 8 seconds to come up to temperature but at 12L/min (or 18L/min on 'boost') it gives a nice strong flow.
Total cost of installation was about £900.
Reply to
A.Clews

Site Timeline Threads

  • site's last updated in