Electric Fire Fault

Then why reply to it? Nothing better to do?

Let us remind ourselves, Animal said, "Hot metals are bound to oxidise" and some schoolboy self-styled chemist said "Stainless steel and nichrome doesn't".

You might not be discussing oxidation but everyone else is.

Reply to
Fredxx

Once again you've lost the argument by snipping the most important part of my post and resorting to abuse.

Reply to
Fredxx

"Combination of both half-reactions is what is termed as a Redox reaction, an electron transfer from a chemical species to another.

Gold ?does not oxidise? according to our experience because it ranks very high in the so-called electrochemical series (Standard electrode potential), a list of how easy it is to oxidise chemical species.

There is a trick, though: gold can be oxidised with a common lab reagent (Aqua regia), a 1 : 3 mixture of concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acids, HNO? and HCl, respectively). The simultaneous presence of two strong oxidisers in the mixture (nitric acid and elemental chlorine coming from HCl being oxidised by the first one), as well as the presence of plenty of chloride ions (Cl¯) that can keep the as-oxidised gold ions (Au³?) dissolved in solution, favours the actual oxidation [in the Redox sense] of gold:

Au + HNO? + 4HCl ? [AuCl?]¯ + [H?O]? + NO + H?O

What happens, practically, is the formation of Chloroauric acid HAuCl? in solution."

"The gold does not go willingly"

This does not happen to gold in benign conditions. To abuse the gold, your finger would probably fall off before the gold would react.

I've worked with aqua regia, and you do that in a fume hood. I was making chloroplatinic acid at the time, which is similar to the reaction described above. It takes two hours of boiling in aqua regia, to dissolve a tiny piece of platinum wire.

Precious metals do react, but it takes time, and who knows how extreme the conditions might need to be, to make the reaction go forward.

Paul

Reply to
Paul