Efficiency of central heating boilers

You just did :-)

One thing which was in favour of the older cars was size and weight - AFAIK a modern supermini is about the same weight as a CX estate...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

However one could

You could, if you were boring! And they don't sound as nice :-)

But remove the emission clobber, fit a hotter cam, decent headers and six pack (carbs) etc and that small block Ford of yours will be left for dead! I'm building up another block this winter with a stroker crank that will take it to 500 cid

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

A world of difference between the two, the Focus is hugely better in just about every respect. But, and it's a big but, fuel consumption is practically idamdenticle and there's 30 years of technological advancement between the two. Remember that global warming is promulgated on greenhouse gas emission, (CO2) and vehicle CO2 output is tied to its fuel consumption. Forget CO, nitrogen oxides and other pollutants wrt global warming, it's a side issue.

Now, how does that new Discovery with it's V6 Diesel compare to the old 200 or 300 TDI?

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Dunno. But if I were to be involved in a serious accident I'd rather be in the Focus than a Marina. Oh - and the Focus has far more chance of avoiding that accident in the first place - the roadholding and brakes on a Marina were worse than dreadful. A modern car is also likely to do less damage to a pedestrian that it hits. All this adds weight and complexity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And drop that mpg even further?

Why on earth would you change to 6 carbs (on a V-8?) when aftermarket EFI is available?.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll bet if you went out in convoy you'd find the Focus considerably better over a mixed journey. And of course couldn't keep up with it if the driver was trying.

Goalposts moved. The new engine is far more refined. And a Discovery isn't exactly bought for economy of ownership.

However, the new diesel in the Defender is more economical, powerful and refined. Although refined is relative.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Add the supercharger to the Ford and it's back to being the more pwoerful engine.

Then stop whinging about fuel consumption.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This plantpot means a new boiler not serviced will give less than 50%. ..and he has a pump on one tap in his house as well. Yes he does.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Toyota Prius (fabulous ride) and other hybrids.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Good in tractors.

That is new to me.

That is also new to me. They are great in tractors.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A new boiler is only new when installed, once due for a service it isn't new anymore, that's why it needs a service... Duh!

Or are you finally accepting a (modern, force ventilated) boiler only needs servicing when it goes wrong?

Reply to
:Jerry:

Except for the environmental impact of the manufacture and disposal of the battery.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And the butt ugly styling, poor fuel economy, and hum drum performance. You would have to be a retard to pay for one!

Reply to
John Rumm

Total nonsense. JD Power UK cars of the year? Prius & Lexus.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The Prius is funky. The inside is light years ahead of all other cars. The Lexus hybrids are superb as are some Hondas.

65 mpg in the city and no congestion charge.

Zips along - silently.

I notice people do not wear heavy jewellery who drive them - or have bald heads or tattoos either.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Will you bunch stop prattling a load of bollocks about outdated technology.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I read that as "the inside light is years ahead of all other cars"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Your break didn't give you any more sense then?

Hybrids are not more economical than conventional cars except in some specific circumstances. Apart from in your imagination.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not surprising given you're thick.

You need to get out more. You obviously know less about cars than central heating. Something I thought impossible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Utter s**te, it's a dull and terminally dreadful car. Only someone who was confined to drivign East European poverty spec cars could describe the Pious as having a fabulous ride. And the car interior appears to have been built down to a price. The price being about 10p.

Or be the sort of pratt who swallows every sales line they read in a catalogue.

Now who around here has a reputation for being a retard, and believing every line spun by a salesman?

Reply to
Steve Firth