Economics of replacing 5ft and 6ft fluorescent tubes with LEDs

No, they are now driven by green taxes and renewable subsidies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine got relegated to the loft.

Agreed, I had a few "China specials" that didn't last long, but since models that are genuinely equivalent to 100W bulbs arrived, they've been fine.

Just the fluoro tubes in garage/shed left now, some are sluggish to start when cold, but they're used such short time it doesn't justify changing them to LED.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My loft has the only fluorescent tubes in the property!

Exactly. When running well (enough) leave well, alone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Those lm/w figures are for new fl tubes, over decades they fall a lot. Last time I replaced fluoros their output was way down, but no-one realised until the new LEDs went in.

Reply to
Animal

Many years ago at my former place of work they replaced all the fluoro tubes with new fluoro tubes over the weekend. When we came in on the Monday the office/factory was very much brighter!

Reply to
alan_m

Yes. I think that you can be well down on output and still have a functional tube.

Here is a post from quora that seems fairly authoritative: =============================================== A fluorescent lamp is a long-arc light source. There are tiny incandescent filaments in each end of the lamp which are covered (smeared, really) with mercury emissive paste (mep). When the tiny filaments heat up they cause the mep to vaporize, which increases the conductivity of the atmosphere in the tube, and allows the arc to establish from one end of the tube to the other. The arc produces very high frequency, short wavelength light, very high in the spectrum and well into the UV range. The interior of the glass tube is lined with clay phosphors which glow in the visible spectrum when excited by the UV light.

In general, there are four separate forces that cause the lamp to become dimmer as it ages.

1) The incandescent filament gradually loses particles of tungsten which deposit on the interior of the glass tube; 2) The mep also migrates to the interior of the tube;

These tungsten and mercury deposits appear as black smudges, which, over time, usually becoming gradually worse towards the ends of the tube, which is where the filaments are located.

3) The eroding lamp filaments and mep cause the arc to gradually deteriorate so the light output from the arc itself is reduced;

4) At the same time as all of these other factors are coming into play, the clay phosphors begin to lose their ability to glow and simultaneously start to erode off of the interior tube walls.

This is why the life of a fluorescent isn’t measured until the last photon is released from the lamp (like an incandescent lamp is) but rather at an arbitrary point in loss of intensity, usually around a 60% loss compared to new. You see lamps still in service all the time which are actually burned out, but still “glowing”.

So, the TL/DR answer: Yes they lose a lot of their brightness over their life and this is why the a new lamp appears SO much brighter than the old one did.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

anyone with experience of old tubes knows it's so

I have some questions

for that to work the mercury would need to condense onto the filaments every time. How do thy get it to do that?

AIUI linear fls used elemental mercury. Not until very thin tubes (T4, cfl etc) did non-elemental get used.

Reply to
Animal

About Australia Psychedelics

becomes first country to recognise psychedelics
has become the first country in the world to legalise the use of psychedelics to treat some mental health conditions. Approved psychiatrists can now prescribe MDMA to those suffering post-traumatic stress disorder and magic mushrooms for some types of depression.

Buy DMT From Australian Psychedelic Society

Buy NN DMT Cartridge 5mL:

Australia Psychedelics is currently serving clients from two locations. Our offices and operations are located in the Australia and Europe.

All of our products are manufactured, packaged, processed, and shipped from our main location in 67 English Street, Gifford Hill, Australia. Our system is designed to effectively service customers located in the Australia and other parts of the world.

You Looking For Legal Psychedelics For Sale Online, Medical Marijuana, Magic Mushrooms, MDMA, or DMT, DMT VAPE PENS,100ML 4-ACO-DMT Microdosing, BEST DMT Crystals, NN DMT Cartridge 5mL, DMT Powder And

DeadHead Chemist DMT Vape Cartridge

You are at the righ Store . Checkout featured products inour shop.

satisfaction is our major priority. As We think about satisfying our clients, we think of speedy and secured delivery, we think of customer safety and discreteness, We think of ensuring customer gets exactly what they need. Our mission is the deliver quality psychedelics in and out of Australia in the best possible. We sell at cheap prices and we ensure packages are well protected from damage. We also ensure each and every package gets to it right destination and on time. We strive to sell a wide variety of psychedelic products in an attempt to satisfy a wider range and class of customers with different choices.
to Use Psychedelic Drugs as Approved Medicines

Australia on Saturday will become one of the first countries to recognize psychedelic drugs as medicines. In February, the Therapeutic Goods Administration, Australia’s medical regulator, sanctioned use of psychedelics for some mental health conditions. Experts agree that psychedelic-assisted therapies in Australia are in their infancy.

Starting Saturday, authorized psychiatrists in Australia will be able to prescribe methylenedioxy methamphetamine – MDMA, the active ingredient in such party drugs as ecstasy or molly -- to treat post-traumatic stress disorder.

They will also be allowed to prescribe psilocybin, a compound found in psychotropic "magic" mushrooms, to treat depression that has not responded to other therapies.

Australia Psychedelics