Easy guide to parking a car?

Or dennis saying "You're going dangerously fast in your drive..."

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's more or less what I do in my garage. My car needs to be positioned fairly accurately so that the sectional door will close behind it while still giving enough space to open the personnel door at the front end.

Rather than a wooden stake I have a length of 1" square steel tubing screwed to the floor. It's not as long as the width of the car, but it's long enough to ensure that it catches the front NS wheel if the car is a bit to the right or left of its usual position (it's a double width garage).

As soon as I feel the tyre starting to climb up onto the tubing I stop - bingo!

Reply to
Roger Mills

What is the speed limit on the OP's drive?

Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Too fast for you

Reply to
geoff

Try reversing the car in and let your reversing sensors let you know how far back you have gone.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Develop spatial awareness and learn how big you car is - it may help in other places - like when you are parking near to me.

Reply to
John

I use half an old paving slab. It's not that noticeable when the cars not there and it's nice and wide so you can't miss it. Also it doesn't seem to move when the car bumps it.

Reply to
pjlusenet

Conversely if it was 70 mph Dennis would still stick to it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Correct, as I have said before we operate variable speed limits in the UK. Whatever is safe up to the posted speed limit. Its not difficult.

Reply to
dennis

I once visited friends and they happened to be outside working on a car when I arrived. I pulled up facing a wall and inched forward, so that the back of the car wouldn't block the alleyway. I inched up a couple of times, got out and was greeted by one friend saying to the other "Next time really f**k him up, sellotape a piece of paper to the wall!" I just wish I could do that every time!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

In message , "dennis@home" writes

You're only safe if someone else is driving

Reply to
geoff

In message , John writes

Or in any situation behind the wheel

I avoided posting that answer

Reply to
geoff

Sounds like a camouflaged trip hazard waiting for an accident to happen. Fine as long as the area is not accessible to any visitors etc.

Reply to
Invisible Man

i'll get me coat.

Reply to
brass monkey

Simply glue a drawing pin upside-down to the end of your nose and use it for aiming.

Reply to
Jules

I think the traditional way is to tie a tennis ball such that it dangles and touches your windscreen when you stop. Beware vandals who may reposition said tennis ball.

Reply to
dave

Somebody somewhere must have found the flaw in that method when first bringing home a shiny new car. And on waiting for the reassurance of the parking block found the new car was longer than the old as it rebounded off the wall.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Please confirm that you're extracting the urine ?

Reply to
brass monkey

Surely that require creativity beyond the wit of a mere vandal?

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon