Earthing in kitchen

I have a fire plan - but then I have enemies.

My fire plan is the bedroom window.

Reply to
ARW

You have a slight problem.. if RCDs are supposed to cut down on fires then adding in emergency lights with batteries and chargers will probably defeat that purpose. I can see that the added complexity of rcds + emergency lights may result in a less reliable system than the one you started with.

Reply to
dennis

Can't say I have noted backup lighting being cited as a particular fire risk (and its extensively used commercially)

I fit emergency lights because they are very useful in their own right - not to overcome any perceived limitation in RCDs. Non RCD circuits fail to work in a power cut just as much as RCD protected ones.

One by the CU is always handy, and then a couple illuminating the main escape route (I have one at the top of the stairs, and another in the hall) - and with no street lights etc, on a night with no moon, dark can be almost total.

Reply to
John Rumm

Presumably your bedroom is on the ground floor or you live in a bungalow (you neglected to make mention of a rope ladder).

Reply to
Johny B Good

I'm sure its a good thing, but since few have it one has to address other o ptions.

Not really, lighting runs mostly in ceiling voids with just one or 2 up/dow n runs. Sockets OTOH have lots of horizontal or vertical wall cable. And si nce drilling into cable is such a rare way to get a shock, it has very litt le effect on the overall stats.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Everywhere I've lived has had lots of plate switches with vertical cable runs.

As regards shocks from switches, I am sure you'd get some good examples if you asked on Mumsnet.

Reply to
Robin

My father managed to touch live and neutral with left and right hand when doing some work in his mother's loft. The current prevented him calling out, so I don't know what broke the circuit ... but he survived another

40 years.
Reply to
Martin Bonner

I like it, but I wouldn't be able to get it past the Planning Committee.

Reply to
Adam Funk

It's not that difficult to climb out of a first floor window and land safely,

Reply to
ARW