Earthing a kitchen sink - what size cable?

Rename that as the Chav-O-Cutor and I think you have a winner!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Works as well the other way round though... in the event of making contact with a live surface or conductor you will be fine right up until the point you touch your earthed sink at the same time. In this case a floating (i.e. unbonded) sink would be better.

Reply to
John Rumm

Or even "Unless they may _become_ plastic at some unspecified point in the future"

If earthing or bonding something is a good idea, then it should be done, and it should be done in a way that's long-term reliable, even after a (fairly likely) plumbing change.

Separate question:

Why bond in bathrooms, but not kitchens ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The only reason to earth something is if you're intending to pass an earth fault current through it. Now there are fault conditions where having this happen with a kitchen sink is a good thing (and so recommending earthing) but for the likely conditions in a kitchen, the fault that puts a fault current into the sink is going to be passing through the wet hands of a washer-up -- definitely not a good reason to earth it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How often are you naked in the kitchen?

Reply to
John Rumm

More to the point, how often are you naked in a bathroom with un isolated electrical equipment [1] and how often are you in a kitchen naked with un isolated electrical equipment, I would suggest people (as a whole) spend more time naked in the kitchen than in a bathroom with such electrical equipment.

Anyway, what's wrong being naked in any room of a house....

[1] they any other part of the body other than hands or possibly head might come into contact with.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Mind your own business!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

How naked do I need to be ? Bare feet and wet hands is surely enough to matter.

And if nakedness is the criterion, why not bond bedrooms too? What happens if you have an iron bedstead with christmas lights dangling from it ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Christmas lights on the bedstead? There's a thought ... no, don't fancy it. Don't like Christmas or any other kind of dangly lights anywhere, even at Christmas.

Can't beat beautiful candles for the best light :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was thinking of this

my bed, I just made it)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You know, that looks so much like a son's bed which he made for one of his degrees ... but without the fairy lights and lizard! It's now in our loft in bits, he doesn't want it. One day, when we need some steel it will find its way down.

Such embellishments are spider motorways.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher