Earth terminal

The earth terminal inside plastic patresses. Does the eath wire require connecting to the sockets from this ternminal. It seems redundant to me serving no purpose at all except just a terminal.
TIA
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Its about as much use as a fridge to an Eskimo. ;-)
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 00:43:48 GMT, The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I'd run the earth wires from the cables direct to the sockets and put a jumper from the socket to the back box. I wouldn't be at all suprised to find that you *have* to fit this jumper even with a plastic back box.

A fridge could be very useful to an Eskimo, to stop things freezing. Might have to reverse the heat pump though. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Dave Liquorice wrote:

So your the cause of global warming. ;-)
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

The expression often employed to show uselessness is "about as useful as a chocolate teapot!" Jim
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

It is just there to "park" an earth wire when required (e.g. in a lightswitch).
--
Cheers,

John.

On 25 Jan 2006 16:17:34 -0800 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote this:-

No, it goes straight to the terminal on the socket on a plastic box. On a metal box a flying earth lead should go from the terminal on the socket to the one on the box, to preserve earth continuity if the screws are lose or not present.

On a light switch it generally serves as somewhere to connect the earth lead without the possibility of it working lose and making contact with an energised terminal. If a plastic switch is replaced with a metal one then the earth lead is also neatly ready to be connected to the terminal on the switch.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Define patress?

If using a plastic lighting switch with no earth required or terminal provided it's simply a make off point for the TW&E earth for possible later use with a metal switch, etc.
Surely this is obvious?
--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?