Earth Bonding?

I think you're splitting hairs. I can see your point, but it does approximate to a farday cage. Even in a Faraday cage you can have a conductor at main potential, and often used to power equipment. However, in practice, equipotential bonding has the same effect of ensuring the electric field in the vicinity is negligible.

Reply to
Tim

I spent quite a lot of my life working with perfect conductors, and I am pretty sure they didn;t have zero conductance ...

That's an interesting idea on two counts. Firstly, I think you mean "electric field" and not "electric field gradient". Secondly, are you claiming that there can be no electric field between two points at the same potential?

No, it's a property of a closed conducting surface.

Do give an example of a non-closed surface forming a Faraday cage, then.

Keeping everything at the same potential certainly prevents shock. I am little confused about why you think that has anything to do with Faraday cages.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

I've never seen a perfect conductor, nor anything with zero conductance! If I did stumble across a perfect conductor, I'm sure it would have an infinite conductance.

Simply when you have an opening far smaller than the wavelength of interest. Depends on what you mean by closed?

An equipotential zone in a bathroom at 50 Hz, where the wavelength is 6 km, is going to look much like a faraday cage at 50Hz, akin to a real Faraday cage having some holes at the higher end of the rf spectrum.

Reply to
Fred