Earlex wdp1200p broken, twice

Hello,

I bought an Earlex wd1200p vacuum because it had the integral socket so that I could use it for dust extraction with power tools (green Bosch ones, if that makes any difference).

Earlier this year the vacuum failed. Earlex told me the pcb had failed and sent me a new vacuum cleaner because they did not have the parts in stock to repair mine.

I'm afraid to say that this vacuum has failed too. First it stopped working when the switch was in position one (vacuum on continuously) and now it has failed completely and will not work in switch positions one or two.

I only use it for DIY, so it is not getting heavy or daily use. I am concerned that I have had two failures within six months. If they send a replacement will it break just as quickly? Are they all this unreliable or have I been unlucky?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

dunno, i have one of the cheapo ones aldi sell every now and then, 30 quid if that, it takes upto a 1200 watt power tool, and i have always kept the tools i use on it below that, and it's been fine for about 4 years.

i gather none of your 'bosch green' tool are over the rating of the hoover's power take off socket?

Reply to
gazz

I've got the one without the socket (Wickes badge) and its had 3+ years of utter abuse & misuse. Still going strong.

Maybe the electronics aren't up to the job?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Are the bust ones getting returned? Think of the stock of spares you are building up if not. B-)

Mines fine, apart from the castors breaking free in the feet where it's been dropped a couple of times. That includes using the power feed through for the table saw which if not over the rating is pretty close to it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There's a 12 month guarantee. I only bought it in January, so that's two broken in 6 months! They have been returned to the manufacturer for complimentary repair but I don't know what will happen once the guarantee runs out. I don't want to be paying for spares every few months. I thought a branded one might be more reliable than the generic one at Toolstation.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I don't know. The switch has two positions: always on (like a conventional vacuum) and controlled by power tool. Last time the tool control failed and I was told it was the PCB that had failed.

When it broke this time, the always on position did not work but the tool control did, for a day or two, but then it broke completely. It seems strange the always-on should fail first this time.

Thinking out loud, do motors generate spikes as they spin down? Are the spikes when I switch off my sander destroying the control electronics?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I must look more closely at Aldi. The problem is that they sell something good one week and if you miss it, you have to wait a year for it to be restocked.

I have only used it with a plane once or twice but mainly use it with a 1/3 sheet sander. I don't think these are particularly current thirsty tools.

I have tried to use it with a delta sander. The first vacuum worked with it but this one would only work intermittently. I wondered if it was the opposite: was the power draw too low for the vacuum to detect it? OTOH it might just have been the start of the fault developing.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I think you have two different faults one with the control electronics and one with the actual switch, though it could be faulty switch in both cases.

There hasn't been a clamour of "mines terrible" and most people in here and not known for being backward in coming forward. So perhaps you have just been unlucky or Earlex have a duff batch of switches...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Quite the contrary, it was people here praising them that made me rush out and buy one. Like you said, hopefully I have just been unlucky.

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I took one back after a few weeks. The switch on the replacement became unreliable after about6 months (I fixed it)

Reply to
NoSpam