dyson dc07 repair

I've seen a few generations of them across friends/family, and one really impressive thing is the improvements in newer versions. I only used a DC01 a few times (don't have one myself), but I note that the cable issue was fixed on the DC04 with the addition of a very simple shock absorber.

My DC04 got quickly redeployed as a DIY building work cleaner, as it was the only thing which could cope with the levels of brick/ plaster dust, so a DC07 was bought for house cleaning. That has a wider hose, and the wand can be used either way around which is much more convenient. Also has a larger hose which can handle larger debris, and better multi-stage cyclones.

Each of these generations has considerably more cleaning power than the one before it. I don't have any of the models after the DC07, so I can't comment on them. I have used one of the small hand-held battery ones (don't know the model), and that also had a surprisingly good cleaning power, and battery gave more than the rated time duration.

They are fragile, but I'm careful with them. The only breakage was with the DC04, when I dropped a bench vice onto the hose cuff on the concrete garage floor, and it broke. I called Dyson to order a new one, having said what happened, but they said it was still covered by guarantee, and sent me a new hose out for free.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Are these the type where you have a "socket" in the wall that you plug a vacuum hose into and the "body" of the vacuum, I.e. the bit that makes the noise and the bit that collects the dirt is hidden away in a cupboard somewhere? I have wondered how good these are.

Presumably they can only (easily) be fitted into a new build? How much space do the pipes require in the wall? Do they have to go inside stud walls? I presume the channel required would be too deep to chisel out of a masonry wall?

What is the diameter of the pipes? Do they ever get blocked? How would you unblock them? Do you have to be careful with the pipe layout to avoid too many corners?

Why are they better than standard vacuums? Is the motor more powerful?

Can you get wet and dry versions or would damp pipes become smelly?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

You are exactly right. It will not slide over the notch but I do not know why. If I use my fingers to move it over the notch, the handle will then recline but I note that if I push the handle back to the upright position there is some resistance so something is not right. Another posts suggested taking it apart and rebuilding it; perhaps that might help?

Reply to
Fred

with plastic, disassembly and warm soapy water and a scrubbing brush or toothbrush plus silicone grease on re-assembly is the way to go for sliding bearing surfaces.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You should be able to do that without disassembly in this case. Even just silicone lubricant spray will probably fix it. Use excess and wipe up what runs out (which will probably rinse any muck out).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel