dummies guide to understanding routers OT

Recent advice in the *mixed blessing* thread has reminded me how little I understand about the workings of my router.

The discussion on my recent telephone line outage and the subsequent re-training of the connection have brought out words and phrases I simply do not understand. I know Google will find all but I would much prefer something pitched at the engineer/farmer level:-)

Accessing router web pages?

Noise margins?

BRAS?

???

Reply to
Tim Lamb

remind me tomorrow.

I can probably do that - HTML format?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Should be OK. Turnpike offers both.

Thanks

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Huge

Devices need to be configured, told certain fundamental information that is unique to where they are being used. Things like login user names and passwords etc. The simple way to do this is for the device to have a few configuration web pages that are normally accessed by entering the devices LAN IP address into a web browser.

Ratio between the wanted signal and (unwanted/interfering) noise on a circuit. If the margin is high a circuit will be stable but might not be utilising it as well as it might and may be slower as a result. If the margin is low then it doesn't take much increase in noise (or reduction in signal) to stop the circuit working(*). The resources of the circuit are being better utilised so it's likely to be faster but less stable.

I'll have to google ...

In the context I used it last night it is the maximum speed that the carrier (BT, Virgin Media etc) tells your ISP they can send data to you over their infrastructure. There is no buffering so if you shove data in faster than it can get out at the far end data will get lost and have to be resent, this slows things down partly because of having to send things more than once and partly because of having to wait for things to timeout before deciding that a particular packet has been lost.

(*) There is a natural day/night variation in the noise margin as ADSL uses frequencies that cover the Medium Wave broadcast band. At night propagation of these broadcast signals increases dramatically and thus the amount of interference they cause to the ADSL signal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Broadly helpful and gave me an understanding of their function and purpose but I didn't spot answers to the above.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My router is, of course, on the local LAN that my Mini and SWMBO's Mini and our printer are on. It is a web host and hosts web pages that tell WTF it is doing. So you need to find its IP address which f'rinstance here is 192.168.0.1. So I put:

http://192.168.0.1

into my browser address bar and get to the router. First thing it'll ask is probably username/password since once you are on, you can prolly adjust its params detrimentally.

Reply to
Tim Streater

My router reports 6.5 dB noise margin for downstream. Is that going to be the worst channel or some average over all channels?

Reply to
Tim Streater
[Stuff]

This looks interesting;

Huge

Yes. I read it carefully and understood about 50%:-(

The glossary is handy!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Kitz is a good place to start -

Some very helpful people on the forum too.

Reply to
198kHz

Most (probably all) routers have an internal web server, that allows you to access the routers own configuration interface. That will work even when the router has no connection to the outside world.

If you type the routers IP address into your browser's address bar you will normally get there. (open a command prompt, type IPCONFIG and look for the default gateway address on the Ethernet adaptor to find out the address)

ADSL performance is dictated by to noise ratios. The routers can usually report the characteristics of the lines performance.

Usually used in the context of a "BRAS profile"... a statistic generated and kept by the BT equipment at the other end of your ADSL link that records how its performing (speed of synchronisation and the number of dropouts etc). One of the things it sets is how fast information is fed into the ADSL segment of the connection. This is normally set a little lower than the physical connection speed. You can sometimes get problems where after a line fault is cleared, you find the BRAS profile has been lowered significantly to cope with the fault, and then takes some time to allow you to get full speed back again.

Reply to
John Rumm

The address is also displayed under my LAN settings.

Putting the address into a browser gives *server not found* I have tried Firefox and Explorer with/without Windows Firewall enabled.

Following the last two outages, it appears the time scale is much less than the 10 days mentioned in the literature. Also noted by Dave?

My current speed seems to have stabilised in around 24 hours. A forced retrain (router off/on) does not bring further improvement.

The current speed is adequate for my needs but I will pursue the suggested home phone wiring alterations ASAP.

I would like to monitor noise margins/levels and see if they are related to weather conditions. Ultimately a subsonic hollow point through the offending cable might force a rewire:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Which router do you have?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not familiar enough with windows and where you are looking but that might be the address of the machine you are using rather than the router and your machine is not likely to be running a web server. B-) I'd expect an IP address of 192.168.0.1 or possibly 192.168.1.1. The defualt for most routers is most likely to be 192.168, the next number could be any thing up to 255 but normally at the low end, the last number is probably going to be 1.

The 10 days is the training period for a new install (or it can be initiated if things have got confused and stuck). This 10 day training period is to set a couple of variables used by BT.

The line is always under DLM which monitors the sync speed and ensures that the BRAS rate is lower. I generally find that a passing thunder storm(*) or noise fault on the line will be noticed pretty quickly, minutes/hours, once the storm has passed/fault sorted it may take some what longer to recover. If the difference between sync rate and BRAS is large it may only be a few hours, smaller may take up to three days.

But you might damage a bit that is OK... You really need a fault that is hard to trace and have a BT Openreach person attach TDR to the line to show where there are impedance mismatches. Hopefully they would then sort them all out.

(*) If I notice a thunderstorm approaching I turn the ADSL modem off so that the noise doesn't affect the sync rate (it can't, there is no sync) and thus the BRAS rate doesn't get clobbered.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If I notice a thunderstorm approaching I disconnect everything attached to the phone line, having had 2 previous lightning strikes! :o)

Reply to
Huge

I found IP 192.168.254.5

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

default gateway 192.168.254.254

Yes. I looked in there. The router info seems to confirm the address found. I'll avoid their forum for now.

Said in jest although I am confident I could produce a clean break in the suspect stretch:-) This would also disconnect two friendly neighbours.

It seems a long while since we have had a significant thunderstorm.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Speedtouch ST585 v6

Reply to