dumb question - what's the purpose of electrical conduit below the plaster?

That's not my experience. A masonary bit is usually a little worn and doesn't go through the thinnest of tin without applying a lot of pressure.

What I find most sad if that the MP's daughter may have been save if the channelling covering the offending wire had been steel, saving us from Part P. I think the IEE has a lot to answer for.

Reply to
Fred

Try these

dennis

Overview, in conclusion:

Conduit doesn't protect against lime attack

-doesn't help with temperature

-doesn't help protect from drills and nails.

-wouldn't be a huge help if you had to replace a lot of cable. You'd be very lucky to successfully drag a set of new cables through much of my existing kitchen conduit without snagging on the L s and T s. Easier for an electrician in the future to rip everything out and start from scratch.

So it seems that conduit doesn't really serve any great purpose.

-It somehow encourages me to do a neater job though, to keep to the zones and think things through more carefully. Kinda looks like it ought to be there. So I'll carry on using it. :-)

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs