Conduit Options

Hi all

The builder is in at the moment, making structural changes for kitchen layout. I want to put conduits down before he skims and pull cable in after. Problem is that, over a 2m run of wall, a lintel leaves only about 1/2" of plaster cover.

Can anyone point me to a conduit supplier that sells flat but wide plastic conduit?

In some places I will be looking to pull down 2 x 2.5s for power. In others, maybe upto 5 x 1.5mm switch wires will be needed.

Solid floor, so all cable comes down from loft space (single storey extension).

Any other suggestions appreciated.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Rather than conduit, do you mean capping?

think you will really struggle to pull the cables in afterwards. You might get one or two through, but I suggest 5 * 1.5mm cables will never go through the capping. They get caught on the rough surface of the wall underneath.

I would strongly recommend putting the cables in before plastering.

BTW - Capping itself is not actually necessary in almost all cases. Its purpose is to prevent mechanical damage to the cable during plastering. Most builders seem to use dot & dab plastering, so no need. Just clip them to the wall.

Regards, Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

"Tournifreak" wrote

Jon

The snagging cables issue is the very reason why I prefer to use conduit. Previously I have used oval section which is just big enough for 2x2.5s. This is a bit wide for the plaster depth available so I was looking for alternatives.

I know that plastic capping stuff is popular, but any problems and drawing out/in cables can be a PITA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

CPC do a few options - probably not quite what you're after though. Try CPC part number CBBR1286 (32x12mm oval conduit) CBBR1262 (38x16mm trunking) CBBR1289 (38x9mm capping) - If you're determined, you might be able to reduce the roughness of the surface of the wall behind with gloss paint??

I think I'd still do all I could to put the cables in first. :-)

Regards, Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

"Tournifreak" wrote

This problem is partly due to the builder turning up on my doorstep a fortnight ago and offering to do this work! I used him last year for some other small(ish) refurb works and didn't want to let the opportunity slip by. So not much preparation done yet.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

=============== Have you considered improvising with something like this?:

offcut in my shed shows that it's about 8mm thick with channels up to

23mm wide. I don't think it's as strong as the normal wiring channel but it might be worth doing a test run. You can buy it in 4.5" widths and it's pretty cheap. Usually available locally to save costs on the small amount you would need.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

"Cicero" wrote

If this wasn't part of a BCO application and probably going to be subject to intense Part P scrutiny, that would certainly have appealed. As it is, from my surfing I have found that even this plastic conduit is made to provide a recognised level of mechanical protection.

Thanks anyway

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I don't believe you will ever pull the cables through! Lay them in first even if you just leave big coils above the room that will include wastage. At least the cables will be behind the plaster. If you do make a mistake above you can use a junction box. Otherwise you'll end up pulling the plaster off and starting again (seriously!).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

But I can't believe this cladding is punier than plastic capping, which is deemed to be adequate for the job. I presume by wiring channel Cicero means the oval section stuff, or conduit? It sounds a very good idea to me. You'd need to cut it down from 4.5" wide as the plasterer wouldn't appreciate trying to plaster over all that expanse of plastic though.

I'm with the other respondents though, ie, get the cables in place before the plasterer comes. Like (another) someone else said, just throw in long drops with plenty of spare at the ends. Could surely be done during one evening, in between builder visits.

David

Reply to
Lobster

================== I can understand your reluctance to use something that the BCO might take exception to but I would suggest that in this case the real purpose of the plastic is only to provide a means of getting your cabling in rather than long term protection. It is my understanding that you can simply embed the cables in plaster with no actual protection or trunking at all. If my understanding is correct then the BCO probably won't object to the suggestion I made, or something similar. It would be worth asking him if you've got the time.

Judging by my recent experience with the BCO (and Part P) I doubt if there will be any 'intense Part P scrutiny'. My impression is that many BCOs are no more pleased with the advent of Part P than the rest of us and they're probably not qualified to deal with matters arising from it. In my case the inspection was farmed out to an independent contractor at the Council's expense because there was nobody qualified to inspect the work.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

As I have yet to submit any electrical work under Part P, I'm interested

- what form did your inspection take? I've heard that some councils are just getting a Periodic Inspection done after the work is complete, and that's it, nothing before or during - does that tie in with your experience?

David

Reply to
Lobster

================== Judge for yourself - this is my experience.

I fitted a replacement consumer unit in a new location and when the work was complete I applied for a 'Regularisation Certificate'. Building Control stated that they had nobody qualified to do the inspection and that they would employ an independent contractor to do the inspection.

An electrician came and did a full inspection of the whole house including the new consumer unit and some minor associated work. Although I hadn't expected a full inspection I was quite pleased with this outcome as it was confirmation of the safety of both the existing wiring etc. and of my new consumer unit. This inspection was free to me, the only cost being the cost of the application for a Regularisation certificate.

The BCO was never directly involved in any way - never came anywhere near my house.

The certificate is rather vague. It states: "Compliance with the Building Regulations.

It is hereby certified that the building works described above have been inspected retrospectively and so far as the authority has been able to ascertain the relevant requirements of the Building Regulations have been satisfied. This certificate is evidence( but not conclusive evidence) that the relevant requirements specified in the certificate have been complied with."

This seems to me to be so vague that it has no real value at all but I've got my bit of paper so everybody is satisfied.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

See this thread for lots of people's experiences (including mine!)

Tournifreak