conduit for bungalow phone, internet and video

My niece's bungalow is being rewired by electricians. While they're grooving the plaster I may as well add some conduit for phone, internet and video.

I'm thinking of channels coming down from the roofspace, Is there stuff I can use so we can poke down wires with the fittings already attached, so we can buy a standard phone extension lead and push it down or up?

short straight runs, eg ceiling to socket or underfloor to socket, [16mm oval conduit will generally accept a couple of networking or [aerial cables comfortably. For a looser fit, go up to 22mm oval or 20mm [ round.

but I guess that is just for bare wires without the plugs on the ends.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

george [dicegeorge] wibbled on Thursday 08 April 2010 22:39

I think I added that bit. Yes, without plugs[1]. When I chose to do what you're planning, I wondered what the best conduit size would be.

I used round 20mm in few places where it was easy, but in most places the plaster was deep enough to take oval but nothing thicker and frankly I couldn't be arsed to hack away at the bricks more than necessary.

16mm oval tucks nicely though a 20mm knockout (bit of cable protection from the metal hole edges, though a grommit would work too, but poking though ensures it stays in the right place when the plasterer makes good) - so to be sure I wasn't shooting myself in the foot, I tried a few cable types and, provided you don't kink the conduit (gentle bends are OK): 1) TV aerial cable is fine, probably two side by side may be possible but very tight, though most people wouldn't need two. 2) 2 Cat5E cables are fine. cat6 and cat7 untested... 3) 2 or 3 core mains flex (6A IIRC) - handy for dropping extra low voltage power to something if T+E is too stiff, eg some types of electronic thermostat. 4) Any size of T+E upto 2.5mm2 for sure (I used 20mm and 25mm round where I knew bigger CSA cable was needed).

I hope you told the sparkies to stick the T+E in oval conduit too for the tuppence-ha'penny it costs... You'll probably never benefit, but the day a drill goes through that cable you'll be glad :)

[1] Two ways around this: buy or borrow suitable crimps or solder/crimp a joint into the cable and hide it in the backbox. With network cables (as in carrying ethernet at 100 or gig speeds) jointing is often not a good idea, but you *can* use a Krone splice block which is an IDC punchdown for two network cables and get predicable performance - Krone is a bit like the back of a BT socket. OTOH, why not just punch down the cable into the back of a proper Cat5 plate and plug the device in? For a few, you can manage with a crappy plastic phone IDC tool perfectly well as opposed to the offical metal punch-n-snip device.

For phone lines, solder or crimps and heatshrink is fine and not hard. If you really want to poke plugs down, that will be 20mm round at least I reckon. You could nip into B&Q as I did and try a few combinations...

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote: xxxxxxxxxx

I cant find what you mean by Krone splice block

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

The proper ones are cheap enough, not sure of the pedigree of this one, but it looks OK.

or

Reply to
Bill

When the conduit's fitted, put all the cables you want /outside/ of it and plaster over. Then you've got all your first batch of cables there plus space for more as well later.

NT

Reply to
NT