Dumb electronics question - aerial extension for wireless

I have a wireless battery powered camera on the back of my caravan.
The signal is not 100% and as far as I can tell it relies on reflections to get from the back of the caravan to the front of the car (just guessing why it sometimes drops out, behaviour strongly influenced by the angle of the aerial and direction).
The aerial appears to be the standard type you get on WiFi equipment - it will unscrew.
One option is to move the aerial upwards and/or forwards to provide a clearer and shorter signal path> For this I would need an extension lead.
<https://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id 79>
seems to provide various lengths of extension.
I would need some king of base to fix the aerial to at the other end, but before I delve into that, how do I work out if using such an extension cable will improve the signal?
Cheers
Dave R

What frequency does the camera use?
Theo
On 23/05/2018 18:22, Theo wrote:

2.4GHz.
Bill
On Thursday, May 24, 2018 at 6:57:42 AM UTC+10, Bill Wright wrote:

It might be due to interference from hoardes of devices on this frequency ranging from babay monitors to security cameras to MicroW ovens etc., I f one desires reliable camera feed only way is to go "wired"
And where is the receiving aerial, which will probably be both a transmit and receive one as most wifi is two direction.
One might have thought they could in some way piggy back a signal onto its power leads to the battery circuit. Still I guess its more flexible if its wireless in this regard, given all the non standard standards about at the moment. I'd have thought if the caravan is not metal, then if you could get the aerial in the car outside at the back then it would work better. Brian
--
----- -
All constrained by the design.
On Thu, 24 May 2018 09:30:24 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

After serious thinking David wrote :

Communication will probably one way. Camera only transmits the picture, screen only receives the signal...
You might try stripping the screen from some small coax, then a few turns of few turns of the core wire around the screen, the coax to maybe the outside via a window or a sunroof, then remove the screen of the coax for a few inches to form an antenna.
Something similar at the camera end.

Not so if it's a WiFi connection using TCP/IP. There has to be a 'conversation' between the ends to establish communication.
--
Chris Green
·

On Fri, 25 May 2018 10:47:09 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

I doubt that it is using WiFi but I will use my phone as a scanner to check.
If it was WiFi then a repeater might help. However I am assuming that it is just broadcasting, but with some kinds of encryption to prevent trampling over other signals or picking up other signals.
Cheers
Dave R

But what's at the other end? I don't think you've explained this yet really. Is it just a dedicated camera and display system or is it a 'web camera' and a simple server to display?
--
Chris Green
·

On Fri, 25 May 2018 15:09:00 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Battery powered (self contained) camera at the back of the caravan.
Cigar socket powered screen which fits over the central rear view mirror in the car.
Both self contained units.
I think some posters have been a little enthusiastic in their snippery.
Cheers
Dave R

... and does anything say how they're supposed to talk to each other?

Yes, probably.
--
Chris Green
·

On Fri, 25 May 2018 21:11:55 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Wireless, probably (almost certainly) 2.4 GHz (see Bill Wright's early reply).
Cheers
Dave R

Er, yes, it could hardly be anything else could it! There still has to be some sort of protocol that both ends undertstand for 'wireless' to actually do anything.
It could be WiFi (11b/g/n etc.), it could be Bluetooth, or it could be something else but there must be some sort of set of rules it works by.
I'd expect the 'user manual' (or sheet of paper) to say what sort of protocol is being used.
--
Chris Green
·

On Sat, 26 May 2018 15:12:35 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Ah, bless. :-)
The sweet innocence of youth.........
Unfortunately, no.
Still haven't snooped, but assuming some kind of proprietary broadcast protocol using security by obscurity.
Cheers
Dave R

Security? What for?
Though I agree the 'user manual' may not be all that forthcoming, that's why it's in quotes.
'Youth', the nicest thing anyone has said for years! :-)
--
Chris Green
·

On Sat, 26 May 2018 20:07:50 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

The security is to pair the transmitter and receiver up and ignore other broadcast sources (and also not to trample over other receivers, hopefully)
There are many tales of wireless rear view cameras which suddenly start displaying the output of the number recognition cameras at petrol stations.
Cheers
Dave R

Yes, so that's also the protocol being used, or at least is associated with it. I.e. if I shout something in Hungarian to a crowded room only those who understand Hungarian are likely to respond. It's hardly what I'd call 'security', it's the protocol by which the two ends are communicating.

Are there?
--
Chris Green
·

On 27/05/2018 14:38, Chris Green wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6D1YI-41ao

Bill

Unfortunately you have told us very little about the equipment you have.
For example if the receiver is a separate box, that connects to a TV set, rather than built into a dedicated monitor, then it might make sense to locate the receiver box towards the rear of the van and extend the video (and audio if appropriate) cables to the TV.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%