Dropped kerbs - not over a public path

*kerbs* are very often found along all sorts of roads where there is no footpath. Indeed, there seems to be a recent trend towards putting more kerbs in on once relatively quiet rural roads. I think this is to protect the verges from heavier traffic that is trying to avoid the congestion on main routes.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I *believe* adder is correct. There is no right of way over a pavement, even if the kerb is dropped. Action might be taken to persuade someone to move to avoid a breach of the peace (fisticuffs etc) but not for obstruction. The only "obstruction" that traffic people are interested in is obstruction of the highway (including the pavement). As neither is obstructed....

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I was under the impression that parked over a dropped kerb when the garage or driveway is occupied is obstruction and can be cause for ticketing or towing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Perhaps you're joining the conversation without reading the earlier parts .... ? A council-authorised 'dropped curb' access to a parking site ipso-facto conveys an _Easement_ to traverse the pavement. Blocking this easement is as actionable as parking your car on the holders' property.

Your belief may differ ... but you can always test it in a court.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

No I read the earlier posts. Not sure I believed them though (that being the nature of ng's which are 90% opinion and 10% verifiable fact (usually)) - including mine, of course :o). Just because someone says something on a ng, it doesn't make it true!

I have seen news reports on troubled parking areas where the policeman interviewed supported my view (ie they couldn't do anything as no offence had been committed). It is entirely possible that this is wrong however and it would be of interest to find some verification somewhere so one knows what's what. Quite prepared to be *proved* wrong (as always).

I guess it has now become OT though and should be on a legal matters ng

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Well, the easement is a right granted for you by the council to pass over their pavement. It does not give you any special right regarding parking on the highway, nor preventing others doing so.

Reply to
djc