Drive Gulley

I have a problem with occasional flooding into the garage following some building work by a neighbor hes trying to fix it but I want to fit a drainage gully in front of the garage to provide protection as required.

The drive is block paved so I can remove a row of bricks fit the gully and link it to a soak away which handles the garage roof my question is:-

I guess I need an flow along the gully down to the drain start how do I get that (its about 4M) without having the gully stand proud at the start ? or is a couple of mm along that length going to be enough?

Any other tips thoughts etc appreciated.

JD

Reply to
JD

I tried that, as my garage has similar problems. In theory, the water should go straight past the door and out into the road, but practice and theory differ when there is very heavy rain. I found that, when the rainfall was high enough to cause the problem, the gully and its pipework quickly filled and only slightly reduced the amount of water that got into the garage. I had to fix a strip of rubber speed bump material on a thick bed of mastic just inside the door to cure the problem.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Now I did have some success using a length of wood in a similar technique where did u get the speed bump material?

Reply to
JD

the garage & the rest of house approx 4m. You do need a fall (a few m is insufficient - more like 2/3 inches I would say). The only way could do it is to create the fall on the channel with dabs of mortar, then build up the sides with mortar to create a level with the blocks o which the metal grate sits. This then appears perfectly level, but ther is a fall on the channel itself. Note - for those having block paving/hard standing, always plan fo drainage

-- Pufter

Reply to
Pufter

Key Industrial Equpment, although it is expensive stuff and I only used it because I had some left over from my factory. If I had not had that to hand, I would probably have bought some aluminium strip, say 1" x 2", and fixed that down. You do need a few hammer-in frame fasteners or the like to hold whatever you use in place, otherwise it will move when the car drives over it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

The gully just needs to run across the garages they are detached and stand behind the house do I really need 2-3" that seems a heck of slop over 12ft given the gully depth.

Well my drainage issue is caused by the fact that in heavy rain next doors down pipe (they only have one now for the rear roof) cant cope and fills and then runs right over the fence and lands on my drive right in front of the garage doors. They have tried various adjustments to the drain but to be honest the design of the full roof running to a single pipe is crap we have 2 down pipes one at either corner and dont have a bloody great extension like they do.

Reply to
JD