Drippy radiators

I re-sited a radiator which now drips. I put plenty of PTFE tape on, made sure olives were ok and tightened as much as I dared - but still a slight drip from each side around the valve. Now the weather has turned colder and the heating comes on there is no drip. I guess that expansion is the reason. Now the radiator is dry and warm would anybody recommend putting some sealant around the joints?

Reply to
Pete L

I would apply plumbers jointing paste (boss) to the threads:

tape isn't much good in these circumstance, and applying sealant around the joints externally is useless.

Reply to
Codswallop

Fernox do a silicone sealant which stopped a minor leak from the lower seam on a downstairs radiator for years - until it corroded through in other places. (Standard two storey house - pumped, non pressurised system ) I think it's still available.

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

It certainly is

I used some to stop a leak on the pipework to a garden tap & it worked a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Whilst the radiators are warm, the slight leak is evaporating. It will come back when they are cold. Best make the joints off properly. (i'm not going to get into the ptfe tape contrversy).

Reply to
<me9

around

I have used gas PTFE tape (much thicker) to stop leaks where the valve body screws into the radiator and it seems to work a lot better than normal PTFE tape. I don't use anything on the other joints.

Reply to
PM

Thanks guys! Have redone the rad this afternoon using PTFE and this magic jointing compound as recommended. All seems leak free at the moment.............

Reply to
Pete L