Drilling problems into concrete

Dave Plowman (News) brought next idea :

The only candidate I can think of, was the Red Head. That had hammer, but no rotation - you supplied the rotation.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

There were. A mate of mine had a Kango hand drill that has hammer and rotation, with the bit held by a morse taper. He also has an old Hilti rotary hammer with a bespoke chuck (in fact they still make the same model today but sell it with a SDS chuck).
--
Cheers,

John.

spamlet has brought this to us :

A very much harder impact on the tip of the bit. In the old days, before SDS, when hammer drills appeared - If the hammer drill would not make any headway in the hole, you would fall back onto a Rawldrill. A hard triangular drill bit, in a holder which you hit repeatedly with a hammer, turning slightly between each strike. They would drill through anything, but it was hard work and took time. The SDS takes a similar approach, a very hard blow on the tip of the bit combined with comparatively slow rotation.
A hammer drill combines fast rotation with a much lighter blow on the drill bit. Fine for material which is not so hard.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Thanks for clearing that up chums. It did seem at first like just another gimmick to make us buy more drill bits - especially after the click stop keyless chucks came in: they should have made more of the hammer. Mind you, now, from our earlier thread we have the additional confusion of the 'impact driver' now being a power tool too!
Things used to be so much simpler... ;-)
Another question arises though (in my thinking about those very hard but rather thin panels in my garage): is an SDS going to run the risk of cracking concrete rather than drilling it? Why do there seem to be no thin diamond drill bits for these hard but delicate jobs?
Cheers, S
on 15/05/2010, spamlet supposed :

You would need to be very gentle with an SDS on a panel garage.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Thought so: back to hanging things from bamboo threaded through the spare bolt holes then!

You can get mortar raking bits for angle grinders that can be used like a short drill bit. Theyre abrasive coated, TC IIRC, so one ought to do the job if you take care not to let it wander sideways.
I've drilled asbestos panels using a no-hammer drill years ago, it was slow but did work. I've a feeling it was done with a twist drill, not a masonry bit.
NT

You can get mortar raking bits for angle grinders that can be used like a short drill bit. Theyre abrasive coated, TC IIRC, so one ought to do the job if you take care not to let it wander sideways.
I've drilled asbestos panels using a no-hammer drill years ago, it was slow but did work. I've a feeling it was done with a twist drill, not a masonry bit.
NT
Good idea. I'll keep an eye out for some. Won't be drilling any asbestos though! (Mind you it's amazing when I recall how as kids we used to 'help' dad by rolling up 'sausages' from his tin of lovely fluffy Rawlplug asbestos!)
Cheers, S
On 15/05/2010 22:50, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The main thing to watch is your exit - go slow and light as you break out, and you won't take a lump out the wall!
--
Cheers,

John.

On 15/05/2010 22:31, spamlet wrote:

Its unlikely to crack it - the hammer blow is about 30 times that of the "blow" from a normal percussion drill - but still relatively light in absolute terms. (think tap from a small cross-peen hammer, rather than whack with a club hammer))

You can get SDS bits down to a few mm.
--
Cheers,

John.

Does that one have a clutch safety thing? My first uses will be at height so I don't want it jamming on me!

IMHO clutch only "needed" when using core drills to cut large holes for e.g. WC wastes, extractor fans holes etc.
My cheapo but heavy SDS doesn't have a clutch and I've not had any probs without...
Cheers JimK
JimK wrote:

I would not even consider buying one without a safety clutch. May cost a few quid more but it pays for itself the first time you _don't_ need to go to A&E :-)

go on - do tell :>)))
JimK
On 15/05/2010 18:02, mo wrote:

I am not sure - do wish Lidl would be a bit more comprehensive in their descriptions. I *think* the one I bought last year (slightly different model) has a clutch but I'd have to double-check to be sure.
--
Rod

It is annoying
Nearest LIDL is not too far so I might go down there tomorrw to see if its in stock and see if there are any clues on the box.
mo laid this down on his screen :

There are no clues on the box.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Have you got one?
Anything in the manual?
I am guessing they would have mentioned it if it was a feature
Anyone seen one going for under 50 with the clutch and chisel feature?
on 15/05/2010, mo supposed :

Yes
Nothing I was able to find.
It has some useful things I have not seen before on any drills, as in a power indicator and some system to detect when the motor brushes need to be replaced.

Not necessarily. The cheapy I bought from Aldi 5 years ago didn't mention it had a clutch, I only found out it did when it jammed. This one improves on that by being to position lock the chisel, and has variable speed forward and reverse.

I'm not convinced the clutch is really that essential. I have had many drills grab in the past and a firm grip stalls them long enough to release the trigger. These really are two handed tools, so even less chance of your trigger arm being damaged.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

That's my experience with a 2kg bosch-pro sds - using it with the 3- jaw chuck and largish hole-cutter in timber. With a firm grip, absorbing the forces of stalling the drill really wasn't a big deal.
I now have a DeWalt high-torque drill for large drillings in timber, and that's another beast altogether. A much firmer grip, more caution, and being ready to release the trigger very quickly is necessary - it'll have a good go at spinning me round otherwise.