Drilling floor tiles for pipes

Hello,

I'm about to tile the bathroom floor. The only thing is, I'm not sure how to cut to allow the radiator pipes through. They are 15mm pipes and I've only ever seen tile drill bits up to 10mm, so I can't use one of those to cut a hole. Do I need to hire a core drill?

Thanks.

Reply to
nospam

You can buy an adjustable hole cutter - a central drill bit with an adjustable arm. When designed for metal they used to be called tank cutters. Mine came from Tiles'r'us. Alternatively, arrange the tiles so the holes coincide with a joint and nibble the hole in the edges (probably not the best solution).

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Normally what is done is to cut a slot out of the tile, trim the edge, and put the cutout bit back in behind the pipe.

Even if you can find a 20mm* diamond cutter, you still have to take the radiator completely out to fit it..

*you need SOME slack round that pipe!
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

wrote

Drill a small hole and use a tile saw (like a hack saw with a round file-looking blade) to cut larger 20mm hole. You need to remove the blade and put it through the tile hole and reconnect to saw to cut IYSWIM. Results are good if you take your time.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

What about channeling the pipes into the wall so they emererge just at the height of the rad?

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

I tried one of these once (from Screwfix) but it was useless for floor tiles, so I assumed that perhaps they were only for thinner wall tiles? The blade kept falling off the arm! Perhaps it was a bad make/model?

Reply to
nospam

That's what I though of doing but I wondered if there was a tidier way of doing it.

That's the problem with the tidiest "hole-only" methods and it would involve draining down the CH. I think I might live with your first suggestion!

Reply to
nospam

I've used mine several times in floor and thick wall tiles. They get very hot so I made sure it stayed wet.

Reply to
NoSpam