Drill woe

I've been giving my trusty Makita SDS drill lots of grief today and it has just thrown a hissy fit and spat oil round the chuck

I spex that if I want the drill to live for a while longer I should feed it some more oil before I abuse it again. There dont seem to be any oiling points so should I just dribble oil around the chuck?

And what oil to use? The choices are:

  1. Diesel oil
  2. Sewing machine oil
  3. Something else bought from a shop tomorrow

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Well firstly are you sure its Oil and not melted grease ?

-
Reply to
Mark

There is usually no need to oil the machine itself. The recommendation is to lubricate the shank of the bit with a little grease occationally. A small blob of grease every fith insertion (or any time you find the hammer action "sticking"). I tned to find it needs more lubrication if you are doing hours of chiseling than just ordinary drilling.

Something that will not perish the rubber nose cone (which is probably synthetic anyway - but just to be on the safe side) - I usually use a little bit of silicone grease (I keep a tube of it in the drill case). However moly grease will probably do as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

Have you asked Makita? IMHE (killing their big circular saws day-in day-out) their technical help is good and will talk seriously to you if you're trade.

Lots of "no lubrication required" stuff _does_ need lubrication after a while, they just assume that the B&Q brigade will have thrown it away long before.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Makita grease for their SDS chucks is # 181573-3. There's a very exciting picture of it at

and a 500k hi res download version!!! Re use: My tube says"Grease lightly the shank of the bit (or accessory) before inserting" The grease is light brown and odourless and now on half the keys of my keyboard! (I refuse to reveal why it was sat by the computer)

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

And CPC do small (50g) tubes of grease relativly cheaply...

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all. Grease it is

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

>>>And CPC do small (50g) tubes of grease relativly cheaply...

What are you going to grease? It is leaking lubricant. Find out from where. Should have bought a Wickes (Kress). :)

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Whilst most of the time I skip over whatever DD has to say, this is one time I'm inclined to echo his question.

Whist Anna may have noticed some 'oil' leaking from 'around the chuck', I'd hazard a guess that it's really liquefied grease from the gear box immediately behind the chuck, given that she did say in her OP:-

Might just be a take-the-drill-to-pieces job to repack the gear box with grease......

Reply to
The Wanderer

Note that you probably have to use a rubber-friendly grease. My local garage gave me a handful of large grease sachets they get with each CV joint, which they never use as they grease the joints with a grease gun.

I suspect that the gearbox will require opening, and a new grease seal fitting. Old one probably disintegrated, possibly overheated.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

How do they grease the joints? Do they slacken one of the rubber gaiter clips, and insert the grease gun nozzle? If they're using the "standard" grease, it will rot the rubber gaiter (as you state, you "have to use a rubber-friendly grease"). Also, with a grease gun, you're probably putting too much grease in; which may cause problems. The sachet of grease supplied with the CV (constant velocity) joint, is the correct amount in it. I wouldn't use such a garage.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE