Drill bit for Kitchen door Hinges

Just come across the card from the bubble pack of the one I bought a few months ago from B&Q.

It's a Trend T-Tech TT/51 for a 35mm hole - and has a 8mm shank.

It's called 'Kitchen door hinge sinking machine bit'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When I did the umpteen holes for the kitchen cabinets and cupboards I used the Screwfix 'dedicated hinge bit'. It had a shoulder that was exactly the depth of the hinge. Not having a drill press I did them all by hand. the technique adopted was to clamp the doors to a WorkMate and squat down, eyes level with the rear of the workpiece/door. I could see the bit remained vertical and I stopped when the shoulder of the bit was flush to the workpiece's back. It can't be emphasised enough;- there's an incredible amount of wood-dust generated { Much more than the material removed

- whoever said 'matter can neither be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction' hadn't done any wood-work! ). An assistant holding a vacuum cleaner hose near the borer and the wearing of safety-glasses is recommended.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

You could use one of the sturdy hole cutters that runs on an arbor (not the flimsy concentric ones). Cut oversize and sand down. This still leaves a small hole in the centre to fill, although that could be done with another small plug.

If you have access to a drill press, these hole cutters can be used without the drill bit in the centre as long as you clamp well and go carefully

Reply to
Andy Hall

Circle jig for a router?

Bought a Jasper 200 and a 400 recently direct from

- very pleased with both the service and the product. Jigs didn't fit my router but nothing that a tap & die couldn't cure.

Bit pricey for just a couple of holes mind.

John

Reply to
john.sabine

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I have used a router but with a normal router straight cutter and a hole in a piece of MDF that I carefullly cut to size; the MDF with its hole acts as a guide. You use an insert in the router base that has a hole for the cutter to get through but has a round lip that follows round the inside of the MDF (with its hole). You clamp the MDF to the door and then cut the hinge hole in the door out using the MDF hole to guide you. Cutting the guide hole was done with a jig saw and then careful sanding to get the right size and get it smooth. It was fiddly but then I was able to do 10 doors using the same piece of MDF and all fit perfectly. If I had a hinge cutter and drill press, I would use that for preference but I didn't and I didn't.

Des

Reply to
Des Higgins

Thanks for the help ppl, it's been very informative

Reply to
Séan Connolly

I used the Screwfix kitchen door router guide which was on special offer some months (years?) ago. It worked very well for me and was dead cheap.

Reply to
usenet

That sounds like the business. I set up a jig like that using MDF and a lot of fiddling. Once set up the routing is easy and relaxing but it was fiddly to start with. A ready made jig sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Des Higgins

You don't have their part number etc do you? I have searched the site but cannot find it. Unless it comes under a different name to "router guide".

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

Probably cheaper still if you only want three holes:

John Rumm